Controls for 1985 Johnson 115

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice
I recently bought an 85 Johnson 115 hp VRO motor to replace the 1977 Evinrude 85 hp I had on my boat.

Do I need to replace my control box with a newer unit? Is there some sort of special hookup I should have for a buzzer for the VRO?

I've never had a VRO motor before, and I want to make sure that everything is wired well as far as safety lights, buzzers, and gauges.

I was considering buying a new BRP control box and using the wiring adaptor...is this a good idea?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Controls for 1985 Johnson 115

It's all a direct swap. No changes needed.

If you want to change anything, and you may have already, you might change the warning horn to the latest self-test horn. It'll beep each time you turn the key on. Just reassures you it's working and it's a better design.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

Haven't done anything yet.

The direct swap you're talking about is taking out my 1977 box and swapping in a new box?

How did the warning/buzzer system on the 1985 VRO work?

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, sorry about that last post...I misred the reply.

What you're saying is that I don't need a new control box....I got it.

My question about how the buzzer/alarm on the early VRO's work is still valid, I think....

marinemech1

Chief Petty Officer

the warning horn on the 77 or the 85 both work the same they look for a ground on the brown wire when it sees ground it sounds the alarm(s)
both motors have overheat warnings
the 85 may or may not have no oil warning
there has been many changes up grades to horns pumps and oil tanks
to make it simple use the 77 control box
don't use vro and cap oil in line disconnect electrical plug from back of vro(3or 4 wire or may not be there at all)
hook up to control battery etc test overheat warning key on touch brown lead coming out of head to ground horn should sound

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Why not use the VRO if it's there? Few simple tests to prove the alarms work, run 50:1 in the gas until confirmed the pump is using oil.

If the pump has no wires coming from it, then I'd say yea, cap the oil line and premix.

I like the pump....not that it shows much......d:)d:)

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

I never knew the 77 had a warning of any kind. I guess since it never overheated it never sounded.

I bought the motor from a re-seller, and he's giving it a 100% checkup so I'll know if the VRO works or not. I'll check it all out when I get the chance in the spring when I pick up the motor.

I was mistaken in my assumption that if I put a new control box in, I would be able to use one of the new "sytem check" tachometers and have the warning lights. I just don't know much about these newer OMC motors.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

One more thing....my old motor didn't have tilt/trim, and the 1985 Johnson I bought does. I was told that I would need to update the control box to accomodate the power tilt/trim.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

You can either put the trim & tilt switch on the dash or on the control box handle. There are kits for this.

There are also kits (wiring harness' really) to convert your pre 96' engine to system check. Would be really a pain though. I would just stick with the conventional stuff for your engine. Just make sure the warning horn is working. If the VRO is good to go, you'll need it for the VRO alarms and also the overheat alarm in any case. And again as dhadley posted, consider installing the newer warn horn.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

I'm certainly not wanting to shell out the $300 for a BRP control box and wiring harness adaptor. I'm going to either look for an older handle with the tilt/trim, or get a switch.

Where is the warning horn located? How would I know it if I see it? Where could I get the newer horn?

Thanks for all the help!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The warning horn is inside the control box. Sets just above the ignition switch inside. Any J/Rude dealer can get the newer horn. Some carry it as a stock item. PN is 585992. Set ya' back about $69.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

So, if I were willing to shell out for the new BRP control box, or at least a later OMC one, it would have that new warning horn inside? That's good to know.

The guy I'm buying the engine from says he's got an OMC box with tilt/trim, and he'll sell it for $100....I may buy from him.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Are you sure it's an '85? I don't think the 115 was made after '84. There was a 120 in '85 that was a loop charged motor, the 115 was a cross flow induction motor.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The 115 was missing between 86' & 89' Jim. Came back in 90'.

jmcgill

Seaman Apprentice

Model number is J115TLCD (according to the seller). He may be misreading the "O" as a "D", since apparently they didn't make 115's in 1986.