Controller box

Keith denton

Cadet
Need help I want to get a new control box for my 87 mercury classic 50. My controller has a button for free throttle but all I can find are ones with lever above key switch. Will they interchange any info would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230816_143115721_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230816_143115721_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230816_143127071_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230816_143127071_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
They will interchange, as long as you get a control that is compatible with Mercury outboards.

The cold start lever works as well as the throttle only button.

drfeelgood87

Cadet
This may be off topic but I took my controller apart to clean and regrease. It's identical to yours. I'm having trouble with the shifter handle assembly and the lock ring behind the handle. It has 2 cutouts and 2 studs sticking out. Is their anyway you could take the cover off the handle so I can see how it's assembled. Also the top of the handle... thank you in advance...

Keith denton

Cadet
This may be off topic but I took my controller apart to clean and regrease. It's identical to yours. I'm having trouble with the shifter handle assembly and the lock ring behind the handle. It has 2 cutouts and 2 studs sticking out. Is their anyway you could take the cover off the handle so I can see how it's assembled. Also the top of the handle... thank you in advance...
Sorry but I can't help I was going to replace unit because I was afraid if I took apart I wouldn't be able to get it back together

Keith denton

Cadet
They will interchange, as long as you get a control that is compatible with Mercury outboards.

The cold start lever works as well as the throttle only button.
Mr chris got another question how do you get the handle off to get inside of control box with one with a throttle only button

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Not sure, Sometimes the throttle only button comes off and there is a bolt under it. Sometimes there is s set screw somewhere on the base of the throttle handle. Definitely pull off the trim that covers the tilt/trim switch and see what is under it.

Keith denton

Cadet
Thank you I got into it today gonna need a new one after I got done with it she be junk now lol