Continued issues with 2001 evinrude

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
starting a new thread because I think it’s a new issue. Model number and pics for reference posted below

I have. 2001 evinrude that just got a new/used power head installed. Ran great before connecting it.

Took it to the boat ramp it started and I got it to the dock to park my car turned it off and when I came back to crank it I kept blowing the fuse going to the PDP at key on. Found it was a loose wire to the pdp and then it now cranks again. I charged the batteries up, they’re brand new. And it just continually cranks. The rpm gauge flips in circles which was weird. In desperation mode I used starter fluid and it still only cranks without turning over.

Any ideas appreciated

Spark plugs are good
Batteries are good
Fuel should be good but I’m thinking maybe there is some bad fuel in the carb or cylinders if it is bad

Please help. This engine is just a nightmare and I’m just trying to get some bluefin tuna this season 😂

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IMG_0021.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0287.jpeg
    IMG_0287.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4608.jpeg
    IMG_4608.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
back track... ficht have no carbs ... they have injectors. fed fuel from the high speed pump see manual !

see manul fuel pressure testing will tell you if the HPP is working ok to feeed injectors

you need sparks easy to check *

you need fuel in the cyl from the injectors

you need EV diagnostics on a laptop to support fault finding ! not an expensive tool around 80$

pull a spark plug keepit grounded ! slip a strip of paper in the plug hole see if it gets wet from inj. fuel when crancking over if dry inj. (s) are not sqwritting fuel in the cyl and no fuel no explosions.

fix the fuel delivery issue if ignition sparks are ok

* test ignition with a lamp no open air spark tests EMM do not like RF interference.

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
back track... ficht have no carbs ... they have injectors. fed fuel from the high speed pump see manual !

see manul fuel pressure testing will tell you if the HPP is working ok to feeed injectors

you need sparks easy to check *

you need fuel in the cyl from the injectors

you need EV diagnostics on a laptop to support fault finding ! not an expensive tool around 80$

pull a spark plug keepit grounded ! slip a strip of paper in the plug hole see if it gets wet from inj. fuel when crancking over if dry inj. (s) are not sqwritting fuel in the cyl and no fuel no explosions.

fix the fuel delivery issue if ignition sparks are ok

* test ignition with a lamp no open air spark tests EMM do not like RF interference.
If it is bad gas… I’ve only ever had carb engines. How do I get the fuel out of the injectors/cylenders

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If it is bad gas… I’ve only ever had carb engines. How do I get the fuel out of the injectors/cylenders
There is no bad gas to get out, per say. Just feed it good gas........

If it was running, I doubt your fuel is bad.

Check fuel pressure.
Did you change the fuel filter(s)?
Injectors don't tolerate "dirty" fuel very well

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
If the engine does not fire but does cranks

and you do not wish to venture to fast into HPP and injector diagnostics you can spray some carb cleaner in the air intake manifold.

this is not usuall y recommended as the Carb cleaner will wash away internal oiling deposits from moving parts but..... if you do and the engine responds by explosions when the CC is ingested you wil get a good insight that injectors themselves are not doing their job at spitting some fuel in the cylinders.

this will prove you have sparks eliminating some worries

if you get no reaction then suspect ignition as the culprit.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
check for sparks... hook up EV diagnostics check for codes

post the EV fault report here

Last edited:

Jhayes780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok hooked up a jumper and it ran. Noticed positive terminal is pretty corroded. Going to try cleaning that off and seeing if it is going to end up being a quick fix

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
ok lets clarify which wire surprised by your finding checking all wiring was the first step ! no ?