Continental Trailer Leaf Spring to Torsion Axle Conversion

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am interested in converting my Continental Trailer (C9-72B-2800) from leaf spring to torsion axle. My trailer information is as follows:
  • GAWR = 3,400 lb.
  • C channel trailer frame dimensions: 1 1/2" x 4”
  • External width = 72”
  • Dimension from bottom of bottom of C-channel to centerline of spindle = 5” (no load on trailer)
Can someone give me guidance on a Tie Down Torsion Axle solution for the conversion? For example, is there a bolt on solution available? If so how do I choose to ensure same trailer height etc.?

My fenders are currently bolted to foot steps on the current axle mounting sled. The double eye leaf springs are also attached to an axle mounting sled. With a move to torsion axle, how do I mount the current fenders and maintain proper tire clearance since the sleds will not be used?

To maintain the same tongue weight, do I align the torsion axle spindles at the same location of the current fixed axle spindles?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I don’t understand the preference for torsion axles especially on tandem trailers.
Keep in mind that:
Torsion axles do not load share between the axles as spring axles do with an equalizer; it is not unusual for one axle to be overloaded on a torsion trailer on bumps and if the trailer isn’t totally level. This is why higher capacity axles are sometimes specified on multi axle tandems.
The axle trailing arms on some rust badly in salt water
They are very expensive to replace compared to spring axles and yes the rubber does wear out.
I think trailer companies prefer them because they are easier/faster to install.
If your leaf springs are rusted pack a new set of springs with grease & replace.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Unless it’s a new trailer, probably cheaper to sell the trailer and buy what you want

Bondo

Staff member
I am interested in converting my Continental Trailer (C9-72B-2800) from leaf spring to torsion axle. My trailer information is as follows:
  • GAWR = 3,400 lb.
  • C channel trailer frame dimensions: 1 1/2" x 4”
  • External width = 72”
  • Dimension from bottom of bottom of C-channel to centerline of spindle = 5” (no load on trailer)
Can someone give me guidance on a Tie Down Torsion Axle solution for the conversion? For example, is there a bolt on solution available? If so how do I choose to ensure same trailer height etc.?

My fenders are currently bolted to foot steps on the current axle mounting sled. The double eye leaf springs are also attached to an axle mounting sled. With a move to torsion axle, how do I mount the current fenders and maintain proper tire clearance since the sleds will not be used?

To maintain the same tongue weight, do I align the torsion axle spindles at the same location of the current fixed axle spindles?
Ayuh,.... Yer gonna have to engineer a sled for the torsion axles to make it work, so incorporate fender mounts into it,....

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Unless it’s a new trailer, probably cheaper to sell the trailer and buy what you want
Thanks, the YouTube video is informative regarding dimensions to consider when purchasing a torsion axle. I'm just dealing with a single axle C-Channel (1.5" x 4") trailer, so I will have to investigate whether the axle must be bolted on or are U-Bolts an option for the torsion axle mount? The 1.5" wide C-Channel doesn't leave much room for bolt holes which may compromise channel strength.

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My trailer is a 2007 Single Axle Continental and is in good shape except for the fact that I recently experienced a cracked spring. I was planning on replacing both of the double eye springs but thought I would investigate a torsion axle.
Am I wrong in thinking that a torsion axle would provide a softer ride for my trailer? I tow around the Baltimore, Maryland beltway and I find the pavement transitions onto and off of the many bridges to be horrendous. It seems the trucks roll up asphalt near the transition to the concrete bridge deck, plus the road crews can't quite get a nice transition to begin with during construction. A bit of an exaggeration, but I feel someday I'm going to either tear off my transom from the engine bounce or shear my axle off the trailer.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I'm just dealing with a single axle C-Channel (1.5" x 4") trailer, so I will have to investigate whether the axle must be bolted on or are U-Bolts an option for the torsion axle mount?
I wouldn’t think so given the rotational forces applied by a torsion axle.
The 1.5" wide C-Channel doesn't leave much room for bolt holes which may compromise channel strength.
The web (vertical portion) of the channel carries the load. The flanges can be drilled with no affect on their load bearing capabilities.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
I've seen several torsion axle trailers with tandem and tri-axles with one or two sets of wheels off the ground while entering or leaving an entrance to a gas station or parking lot to any store. Two or three axles do no good if one or two of them are off the ground. Not to mention the tire and axle loading issues.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
What I said.
Torsions are OK on a single axle but on multi axle trailers one or more can be overloaded, so the axles should have extra capacity vs spring axles that share loads.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would just spend $100 on new springs and go boating