console steer in a 14' lund?

Bazz

Cadet
Hey Lund lovers...
Found a nice 1984 aluminum-v Lund. Have had trouble finding someone to turn loose of a good 25hp (or so) long shaft tiller. I did run across a good deal on a long shaft 25hp remote. I can get the motor, controls and side console for a great price. Didn't want to do it at first but now am considering it. Boat is plenty wide, between 5 & 6 ft, shouldn't really be in the way. Just don't see many rigs like this with a console. Bad idea? Any advice or pictures would be greatly appreciated....

LORDY611

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: console steer in a 14' lund?

I added a console to my 16 foot Lund that came with a 30 Johnson, tiller steer. I decided on my first trip out that that tiller action was finished. A lot of vibration that my 14' with a 9.9 never had, and the angle just wasnt right either for my arm. I bought some mahogany and fashioned a crude console and figured out how to bolt it to the side box and one seat and it works well. One mistake I made was to mount it too far astern. I found a 40 Mercury and got all the cables and steering, and it porpoised at WOT. So the next winter I moved the whole affair one seat forward and it works much better. I say go for it.

Attachments

• Lund upgrade port.jpg
    Lund upgrade port.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Lund upgrade stbd.jpg
    Lund upgrade stbd.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Lund upgrade aft.jpg
    Lund upgrade aft.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Lund console.jpg
    Lund console.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 7

Senderofan

Seaman

We had two Lund's, similar to yours...growing up, with factory installed steering. They made an aluminum box deal that was painted just like the floor...nothing fancy like Lordy611's...and it was designed simply for the steeing box and a place to hide the cables. First one was a 14 footer with a 20 hp Merc @ 1971. Second was an 18 footer with a 40 hp Merc. @ 1974-5. Having the little console was very nice....especially on long trips. My forearm gets fatigued and hand goes numb holding the throttle on a tiller for trips of an hour or more. Don't think you'd go wrong with installing a console. Just be sure you install it in a proper place for handling...like Lordy said.

Good Luck,

Wayne

P.S.

Forgot to mention...for the throttle control...lund just made a bracket to mount the box. It was aluminum...bent so that the box was nearly straight up and down....and it was rivited to the side of the boat. I think it was the same thickness as the hull and painted the same as the floor.

LilTippy

Cadet

Lund makes a console for the 09 Rebel XL. I know it would not fit in your boat, but the design and where it is located on the boat may be of value to your design.

Bazz

Cadet

Nice rig Lordy, I appreciate the info from everyone.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Here are a couple pictures of my 1986 14S DLX as it was when I purchased it last summer. Sense then the wood seats have been replaced, rewired, trailer striped and repainted, added Tempress seats and a 1978 35hp Evinrude. Have about $800.00 invested for the whole rig.

84LundLXL001.jpg

84LundLXL002-2.jpg