Considering installing bow thrusters on single screw 268 Fours Winns.

Hi All

We dock in a very windy area in a busy Marina, and challenging with single screw. We are considering installing bow thrusters over the winter. Bit pricy but from what have read would make docking way easier and worry free. Does anyone have an experience in doing this with a four winns Or similar boat at all? Appreciate folks thoughts, ie concerns, pros, cons...will it really make a difference in ease of Docking, would it increase value of boat if decided to sell later or no?, etc. Boat is a 2005 Vista 268. thanks!

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
You can Google some YouTube videos of folks who have installed a bow thruster. You will need better than average fiberglassing skills as well as mechanical and electrical installation skills.

Thanks for the replies, if we are going to do we will have a marine shop install it. Concerned as to the look of the boat and ability to resale after, as they are more of an external mount that are visible, so does change the sleek nice design of the boat. But docking is defiantly a pain. Looking at side ones, yes similar to Sideshift, asking installer for make an picture if he can send. All of you being Boaters, and many fourwinn owners, appreciate your thoughts.

tpenfield

Staff member
Most of the bow thrusters are done with putting a tunnel in the bow of the hull. It really won't affect the boat much and won't even be visible at harbor/docking speeds.

alldodge

Staff member
BTW do you have a B3 or DP outdrive?
If not, suggest doing that before getting thruster

tpenfield

Staff member
I will have to admit that when I had a single engine boat, using a bow thruster was considered cheating :ROFLMAO:

there are also the add-on bow thrusters like sideshift

Yes that is what they said the install at their shop, asking more details as see there are various types, lowest one is a one prop which they note is for under 30ft, but would think 2 prop would work better... essentially they install it on the bow just above waterline and either has one prop on one side or one on each side.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes that is what they said the install at their shop, asking more details as see there are various types, lowest one is a one prop which they note is for under 30ft, but would think 2 prop would work better... essentially they install it on the bow just above waterline and either has one prop on one side or one on each side.
That style would be an eyesore IMO. You mentioned a question about the value of the boat . . . this style might retract from the value vs. the traditional bow thruster design.

That style would be an eyesore IMO. You mentioned a question about the value of the boat . . . this style might retract from the value vs. the traditional bow thruster design.
Much belated reply as just got the boat back inā€¦.After mulling it over through the winter, reading the feedback here and further research we decided not to get bow thrusters. So no cheating šŸ˜Š. Belated Tks for all the feedback.

billjbrown123

Recruit
I did bow and stern on a bigger boat. Best money I ever spent. Do it. I just sold that boat and got every penny back plus some. Mine was $25,000