Considering buying this 92 Malibu ski boat. Need opinions please.

The Grayt 1

Seaman
We had a IO ski boat before and enjoyed it but we are looking to move more towards wakeboarding and performance. We found this boat and ae working out a deal on it now. What are the pros and cons to a direct drive ski boat? Is it more reliable? I know gas mileage will be worse. Does Malibu make good boats?

http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/1813468584.html

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Considering buying this 92 Malibu ski boat. Need opinions please.

way over priced. 4k max

it's almost 20 years old!!

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think that's overpriced. They'd be asking even more if it was an open bow.

But, shop around for comparable units and make that decision for yourself.

I can tell you, having come from a V6 I/O runabout, me and my family absolutely LOVE our ski boat (the one in my sig). It pulls strong, and honestly I feel like it's just less complicated than an I/O, but that's my own personal opinion.

The only thing about my Outback, and this Malibu in the picture looks the same is that it sits lower in the water. You just need to be aware of that. It doesn't affect our boating much, since if the weather is bad or there's a heavy chop, we don't go out anyway, but just realize that it doesn't handle waves the way a typical IO or OB runabout does. You have to work a little harder to keep the nose up, and passengers are more likely to get wet!

Go for it, I think, like us, you'll love it.

SeanT

Also, you'll see lots of Malibus around, but none like that classy-looking old 92 you have your eye on.

Utahboatnut

Also be aware that interior space will be very limited and it may not be the best for wakeboarding as it is more of a ski boat. I'm sure you could get the wake you want with some ballast but again interior space will be compromised. Sweet looking boat though, being a 30+ year slalom skier I would love to own one just like it.

SeanT

I disagree about the space. Unless that boat is less than 18' long, I think you'll find the space is fine. Traffic indeed FLOWS a bit different in a direct drive as everyone moves around the engine box, but we've never lacked for space in our Moomba. It's 20'6", 92" beam with an open bow.

If you have an open bow now though, you'll probably want to pass on a closed bow.

dls322

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 for going with an open bow. Especially since your used to having one. Even though you have a nice storage option with it closed, you will feel crammed in the boat. My girlfriend and all our friends love sitting in the open bow. I think you will miss having it.

oldjeep

Admiral

The one nice thing about a closed bow ski boat is less water in the boat when it gets choppy. The older true ski boats like the one you are looking at sit really low in the water and its fairly easy to take water over the bow even when you are being carefull.

Beautiful looking boat and worth every penny of what they are asking if it runs well.