Considering buying a 1997 230 Bow Rider--is it right for me? What should I check?

BikePilot

Recruit
I am looking to buy my first boat. I'm moving to FL in a couple of weeks and will have a house on a deep-water channel just off Tampa Bay with a boat lift. I figure it wouldn't be right to live there and not have a boat:cool: The lift is rated for up to 10k lbs, though is a bit old so I probably should not get too close to that limit. I'd be comfortable up to 6k lbs.

I'd want to be able to putter around in the bay, pull skiers, tubes, boarders etc., tool over to whatever waterfront restaurants are in the area, take friends out (it'd be good if the boat could comfortably tote up to 6 people and maybe uncomfortable take 8 safely). I don't fish at all. Nothing super-serious for the watersports, just playing around in general. I don't think we'd have any desire to spend the night on the boat. A head would be nice, but not necessary.

I'm handy and can do basic fixing up, but don't have a lot of time to do major work and don't want a project boat. I don't mind paying a mechanic to give it a once-over before I plunk it in the water.

I spotted a Sea Ray 230 Bow Rider, 1997 vintage, with the 330hp 7.4LX MPI and a Bravo III drive that really caught my eye. Price is right ($6k) and condition seems to be mostly good (canvas is a bit weathered and it needs drive servicing--seller says mechanic says the shift bellow should be replaced soon--otherwise it looks good). Other than the bellow it is advertised as "ready to go" with a fresh oil change and new water pump. My budget is up to $10k and ideally I'd love to be in the water for around $7k. So if I got this for $6k I wouldn't mind spending around $1k to spruce it up. I really like the idea of the big block and Bravo III as I'd much rather have more power than I need and run at part throttle most of the time than have a boat that struggles when loaded with lots of people.

Any thoughts on this model? Things to consider, check, etc. when evaluating? I do not yet know the history for maintenance or salt vs. fresh water, though most things in this area seem to be salt (and I'll be using it in salt).

I've been around boats a fair bit, but have never owned my own (a couple of friends have Sundancers I've been out on, worked on, and piloted several times). Any advice on the buying process? Should I get it surveyed? Does a survey typically include the hull and engine system or just the hull?

I don't intend to trailer the boat and this one does not come with a trailer (though the seller has a trailer I can borrow to tow the boat to my place). I do have a F250 diesel that should tow most things and my dad lives in FL and has an F450 that I can use as well so hauling the boat to my place isn't a problem.

The boat is currently on the seller's trailer. Pictures of it below:
5V35Q45P43n63p13o6bc88f215cc9d98a1290.jpg

5V25T45R63n53m63o3bc8f2cf3109e1fa122d.jpg

Thanks very much!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Considering buying a 1997 230 Bow Rider--is it right for me? What should I check?

You might be happier with something a bit bigger - 26 feet maybe.

Your budget of $10k is going to get in the way, which will push you into older boats and perhaps a bit more maintenance.

BikePilot

Recruit
Re: Considering buying a 1997 230 Bow Rider--is it right for me? What should I check?

Thanks, I'll definitely consider that.

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I disagree. For the uses that were described, you'll be plenty happy with a 23 ft boat - if you're serious about 6 comfortably, and 8 uncomfortably (depending on the seating arrangement of the interior).

You don't want to go too large, or you start running into weight issues when you talk about water sports.

BikePilot

Recruit

Thanks. I talked with a friend who boats in the same area and he does fine in a 19' boat. I'd guess that probably 80% of our boating will be with 4 or less people, almost all of the rest with 6 people and I'd like to be able to take 8 on rare occasion (that way I can take all the partners/executives and their SOs from my company out). After more thought I think 23-ish will be plenty for a first boat. If it gets small after a couple years that's fine.

Friscoboater

Captain

I have a 95 model just like that. Check for rot!!!! Mine was rotten to the core, and those sea rays are prone to that. Check ou thte link in my thread for the full restoration.