Considering a swap

rmo5095

Recruit
Hello, all, I am debating what to do on my 1994 Baha 295, (I know) Ive heard a lot of negatives already. AT any rate I have 5.0's and they just seem to be underpowered , I have one motor that was rebuilt about 400 hours ago with a top end ticking thinking lifter, the other motor was crate motor with about 250 hours on it. The fact the boat is in amazing condition and I paid very little for it. I would like to either repair the noisy or moreover repower with a a pair of 5.7"S. Either way its getting at least one 5.0 motor, I am just curious if I should just swap them both out for 5.7 and what can I reuse from original motors and is it a direct swap. Additionally since this will probably be my only time I do this is on this boat is there a 5.7 version with hire HP rating than others? Thanks in advance.

alldodge

Staff member
Get 1996 or newer 5.7 and they will be vortec motors, each will develop more HP

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Get 1996 or newer 5.7 and they will be vortec motors, each will develop more HP
X2 swap them for newer Vortec engines. What carbs are on your existing ones, you will need new intakes to work with Vortec heads, can use a marine performer for a few extra horses.

rmo5095

Recruit
X2 swap them for newer Vortec engines. What carbs are on your existing ones, you will need new intakes to work with Vortec heads, can use a marine performer for a few extra horses.

Thanks guys currently running a 2bbl, so would need to change intakes to utilize 4bbls. It would seem to me Crate motors would be the way to go.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would build a pair of 377's or use used blocks and build 383's

Scott06

Vice Admiral
If you upgraded to something like this https://www.michiganmotorz.com/vortec-marine-silver-package-1967-current-replacement-p-58.html

these are about 295 at the prop, I think your current engines are 200 hp. each You’d gain almost 200 hp total.

i got one of these packages and swapped over my accessories and wiring harness. It might not be cost effective if you are paying a shop to swap over everything, a complete bobtail might be the same price after labor Is included.
if you want more power the 383 s listed will get you another 40-50 hp or so per engine in stock form .

Mike Simjack

Cadet
Im currently replacing my 2002 Volvo Penta 5.7 270 hp, with the new 6.0 380 HP. Still in the process of installing. Different exhaust configuration have to build connectors.