connecting rod bolts

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When putting on new pistons , do most of you put new ARP rod bolts? Therefore having to resize the rod. One of my machinist's recommends checking the rod and resizing if needed , but not changing the bolts unless it is for high performance.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
When putting on new pistons , do most of you put new ARP rod bolts? Therefore having to resize the rod. One of my machinist's recommends checking the rod and resizing if needed , but not changing the bolts unless it is for high performance.
For a stock build i would agree with your machinist check the rods resize if needed.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
stock pistons = stock rods = stock bolts

if you need to jump to ARP rod bolts, go to SCAT forged rods with floating pistons and ARP bolts. will save you a ton of money over modifying junk stock rods.

you may want to check prices.

lately, a new crank is cheaper than regrinding your existing crank
new rods are cheaper than re-sizing your existing rods.

carlos515

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks, unfortunately up here in the Great White everything is double to what the prices are in the US. I am hopeful that my crank will only need a polish , and my rods check out ok.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Thanks, unfortunately up here in the Great White everything is double to what the prices are in the US. I am hopeful that my crank will only need a polish , and my rods check out ok.
rock auto and summit racing sell to Scotland and ship faster than they do to Florida. They also ship to Canada..... LOL