Connecting rod bearings fall out???????? How to install?

cforgan

Cadet
I am tearing down my 1976 115 Johnson to reseal the crankcase and figured at the same time I would replace the upper and lower crank seal. This is my first time doing this so I apologize up front for my questions that might be or should be obvious. I was taking the connecting rod caps off and had all the bearings (looks like needle bearings) just fall out when I pull the cap and rod away. I thought it might have been just a damaged race on the first one but they all did it. Are the bearings suppose to fall out?. I cant see how you remove the retainer and bearings without drop some of them. My question is, is this normal and if so how do I install them back without them falling out and down the cylinders?

Thanks for your help!!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not an expert on johnyrudes, however most 2-stroke motors I have pulled apart have needle bearings falling out. key is to count them for each journal, and use a dab of grease or assembly lube to hold them when you re-assemble

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
A light grease will work. When you have the rod in the correct orientation with the crank, you should be able to just roll them in place around the crank, then put the cap on-without the grease.

cforgan

Cadet
Perfect, thank you. I was worried I did something wrong when they all fell out or something was broken that I didn't notice. Thanks again.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Vaseline works well to hold the bearings in place while you assemble. Rinses right out once you run the motor!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
Did you label the matching sets of parts? They should not be mixed.

cforgan

Cadet
yes, I labeled all of them from what cylinder they came from not to mix them up when reinstalling.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OMC/BRP sells a needle bearing assembly grease specifically for the job. However, we used Vaseline for years before OMC made their version.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
New needles are available at about $12,00 a set.----Why re-use them ??