Connect second computer to the internet?

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for a little guidance here guys for someone that knows NOTHING about computers. We have an older Mac that we use for internet and e-mail, the connection is a Motorola dsl modem to a wired Belkin router and then a wired connection to the Mac. My wife also has an older pc with Windows XP media center 2005 that she just uses to play games on, it has never been connected to the internet. She also has a crafting machine and the manufacturer has come out with some enhanced features for it but you need to be hooked to the internet to use them. The pc doesn't stay in the same room all the time, she seems to move to different places in the house depending on the season:facepalm: so a wired connection will not work to well. Is there an easy way to keep what I have and add in a wireless router somehow? I will really make a lot of points if we can get this to work but I don't want to do anything that puts my iboats connection at risk.:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Connect second computer to the internet?

Wireless router connected to your belkin router.

A wireless card installed in your wife's PC

Really fairly easy and straight forward

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

You can run multiple computers off a wireless router. Look at the Belkin USB wireless antenna for ease of installation. The more computers that are connected at a time will slow down connection speeds, but it's still available.

NYBo

Admiral

Adds an unnecessary level of complexity. Better to just replace the current router with a wireless one. Even better, check with your DSL provider to see if they will upgrade your modem to one with an integrated wireless/Ethernet router.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I'm not a tech-type, but can follow instructions with the best of them....
I have the exact set up that you are after, but I opted to simplify and get a hardware "black box' that is both a modem and wireless router. Followed the installation instructions and it was seamless. Running 4 PC's....2 are Cat 5 cable connected, 2 have wieless connections....as Bob said, get wireless adapters for any that you want to hook up with out cables.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Adds an unnecessary level of complexity. Better to just replace the current router with a wireless one. Even better, check with your DSL provider to see if they will upgrade your modem to one with an integrated wireless/Ethernet router.
Better off having seperate modem and wireless router. I have U-Verse and I am stuck with the combo that ATT gives me. I would love to have a seperate wireless router that I get to pick.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can run multiple computers off a wireless router. Look at the Belkin USB wireless antenna for ease of installation. The more computers that are connected at a time will slow down connection speeds, but it's still available.
Only slows down if both computers happen to be downloading at the same time, otherwise, the speed will be identical.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

A wireless card installed in your wife's PC

Really fairly easy and straight forward

Thanks for the replies everyone but this sounds like it might be the best idea to match my abilities. I can leave everything connected as is and not take a chance on messing something up by changing modems or routers. I had a hard time getting things working originally and making any changes just scares me to death.

kax2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your worried about "messing things up" you can add a wireless access point.
You can integrate it without changing your current router and position the access point so you get the widest wireless coverage.

NYBo

Admiral

Better off having seperate modem and wireless router. I have U-Verse and I am stuck with the combo that ATT gives me. I would love to have a seperate wireless router that I get to pick.
Given the OP's admitted lack of computer savvy, I envision DHCP problems, etc., which is why I recommend a one-box solution.

M9.9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sure know what you mean ryoung. Though, installing my router was one of the more easy tasks, just followed the instructions. Anyway, this one (D-Link DIR-655), has four wired ports and I believe can handle up to 6 wireless. It has a fantastic wireless range (made sure of security issues) and is quite fast.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Given the OP's admitted lack of computer savvy, I envision DHCP problems, etc., which is why I recommend a one-box solution.
Very unlikely. What do you think happens already between the modem and the computer?

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

I was searching the net last night for router to router connections and DHCP was mentioned, many posters said it needed to be turned off on the downstream router? I have no idea what DHCP is, let alone how to turn it off. They were also talking about how to connect them, WAN to WAN or WAN to LAN etc. and that's when I poured myself a shot of brandy and called it a night.:) Now I'm thinking maybe it would be better to just change out the present router to something like M9.9 suggested hoping that we could go back to what we have now if we run into problems.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

My Qwest DSL modem is a 4 port wired/wireless modem/router...In the settings I disabled the wireless broadcast to use it just as a modem because its only wireless G...I connect that to a asus RT-N16(wireless N) on my desk that goes wired to two PC'S...I connected another RT-N16 in a wireless bridge to three other PCS downstairs...I had to change the startup routine in the remote router to allow it to use its two USB ports to run our two non-wireless printers...I have a third router downstairs that's just a repeater that takes the signal and boosts it for coverage...At any one time I have 5 desktops/up to 5 laptops(when kids friends come over) a PS3, a nintendo wii, and two Ipod touches...

I don't ever really notice any network slowdown because all the devices are never being used to download files at the same time...Most routers you can bridge with a cat 5 cable to increase the number of ports...I think you can also connect a wired to a wireless with a cat 5 and use its wireless broadcast...Its all in the settings...:eek:

BTW I also had to flash the downstairs RT-N16 with a new open source firmware called dd-wrt that allows for the wireless bridge...I only mention this story because it seems like what you need to do is similar to my issues...What I had to do was a royal pain in the *** and took like a month to get all the bugs out...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Now I'm thinking maybe it would be better to just change out the present router to something like M9.9 suggested hoping that we could go back to what we have now if we run into problems.
That's what I suggest too. Just replace your current router with a wireless version.

CatTwentyTwo

Chief Petty Officer

That's what I suggest too. Just replace your current router with a wireless version.

Okay, that wasn't near as hard as I was afraid it was going to be. Well not if I don't count the 3 trips to the store, the nearly 7 hours on the phone with several tech support reps and standing by from 8 in the morning until 8 in the evening one day for a dsl tech that never showed. Oh and worst of all, no iboats for 2 days when the internet service locked up somehow.:facepalm: Other than that it was a piece of cake.:D
With that said, it was all worth it. My wife is on the internet and was able to get her crafting machine connected and she even joined facebook and is chatting with relatives she hasn't heard from in years.
Thanks guy's for giving me the advice and encouragement to follow thru with this.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My wireless router at my vacation house failed recently. I had a new router shipped to my house, I configured it and then mailed it to my next renter. He plugged it in and it worked flawlessly with no intervention. On the other hand, I helped my GF install her new router and it was a pain in the butt. Depends on the brand of router. My GF bought a D-Link which I would never buy. The one I have at my vacation house is a Netgear.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I run Actiontec's tech combo modem/routers and have never spent more than about 10 minutes getting them set up, now a days, internet set up is not rocket science...

That said, if your not familiar with network protocols, then just call someone, and they can get it set up real quick for you, never call the phone company or the cable company, you will be dead before they arrive, never call geek squad, they are a bunch of dunder heads that learned from the phone company and the cable company, call an independent, offer a cup or coffee or a soda, show off the pics of the kids and guess what, sometimes they will only charge you for the gas they used to get to you.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

My Qwest DSL modem is a 4 port wired/wireless modem/router...In the settings I disabled the wireless broadcast to use it just as a modem because its only wireless G...I connect that to a asus RT-N16(wireless N) on my desk that goes wired to two PC'S...I connected another RT-N16 in a wireless bridge to three other PCS downstairs...I had to change the startup routine in the remote router to allow it to use its two USB ports to run our two non-wireless printers...I have a third router downstairs that's just a repeater that takes the signal and boosts it for coverage...At any one time I have 5 desktops/up to 5 laptops(when kids friends come over) a PS3, a nintendo wii, and two Ipod touches...

I don't ever really notice any network slowdown because all the devices are never being used to download files at the same time...Most routers you can bridge with a cat 5 cable to increase the number of ports...I think you can also connect a wired to a wireless with a cat 5 and use its wireless broadcast...Its all in the settings...:eek:

BTW I also had to flash the downstairs RT-N16 with a new open source firmware called dd-wrt that allows for the wireless bridge...I only mention this story because it seems like what you need to do is similar to my issues...What I had to do was a royal pain in the *** and took like a month to get all the bugs out...

Sorry, I know ryoung has already figured it out, but I had to laugh when I knew his internet connection prowess and read this hrdwrkingacguy. You've definitely got it figured out and this is good info mind you so don't get me wrong, but all I could picture him thinking as he was reading it was
not-tagged-smiley-10569.gif

I went through hours and hours trying to dissect a problem with our wireless router. Turned out the router failed, so I picked up a new D-Link. I highly recommend them. Practically plug n play it was so easy.

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mabey it was boring and that's ok...But the next time(which will probably be the first time) someone wants to have their modem upstairs and two printers and three pcs downstairs or in a guest house connected wired to a remote router they can figure out who to ask how to do it...I would have paid money for someone to help me go through the issues I had, so I am just trying to help...There are way more people then the OP reading these posts...:eek: