Congratulations Australia !

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yesterday Australia re-elected John Howard's government to a fourth consecutive term.<br /><br />Australia is moving forward in leaps and bounds. It's an exciting place to be and a great place for doing business (speaking from first hand experience). Good on you Aussies!<br /><br />Americans take note - the word "Liberal" has a different political meaning down-under. The Aussies' right-wing option is Howard's National and Liberal party coalition. Their left wing option is the Labor party. <br /><br /> http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/10/1097261869591.html <br /><br />
howardfamilyvictory_wideweb__430x296.jpg

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: Congratulations Australia !

Thank God! How long is a term over there?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Excellent news, Kiwi.<br /><br />Now if we can just do the same thing. . . :)

aspeck

Staff member

Kinda looks like Cheney, don't he?<br /><br />Congrats Aussies!

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

12Footer - the Australian electoral term is 3 years (same as in NZ) and there is no limit to how many times a prime minister and his party can be re-elected.<br /><br />It's noteworthy that Howard has increased his support from the previous election, indicating that his support for the Iraq liberation has not gone against him in the polls.<br /><br /> http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/10/09/australia.vote/index.html

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I wish we were set up like that. Just when a president gets experianced, another election destracts him and the country with the "American mud-slinging championships" again!<br />Tyhe ideal would probably a cross between Austrialia's no term limits, and America's 4-year term.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by 62_Kiwi:<br /> It's noteworthy that Howard has increased his support from the previous election, indicating that his support for the Iraq liberation has not gone against him in the polls.<br />
Excellent point! The Labor Party (the main opposition to Howard) if elected were going to bring the troops home by Christmas. The overwelming victory for Howard is the people saying that we support his stance on terrorism.<br /><br />We had a democratic choice - and we made it.<br /><br />Aldo

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

And this is really a shot of encouragement to us Americans. If I recall, the race over there was expected to be a close one by the media....Same as here. If the general public are smart enough to think on thier own here, we too, will retain the right administration. If they are not, it will be a repeat of 1992. I am praying for the former.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Yes 12footer, all the polls were saying "neck in neck race". 4 hours into the counting it was obvious that Howard had won. It wasn't a landslide victory - but it was damn close to being one. <br /><br />FWIW, I believe that Howards' excellent policies concerning health, education etc is what gave him the thumbs up. Its the everyday things that effect our lives that sway our votes (IMO). His anti-terrorist policy (and therfore his alliance with Bush) could have throw a spanner in the works - but it didn't. <br /><br />Just goes to show, the people who spout anti-war BS are a minority despite their constant media attention.<br /><br />Aldo

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Gee, it sounds like John Kerry's sister, who I understand was in Australia campaigning against John Howard, didn't have the desired effect. Whew!!!<br /><br />Congrats Australia!!!!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

This is the result I was praying for. Like Boomyal, I bleed conservative. The thing you guys should take heart from is the fact that in times of world unrest, the voters usually take a conservative stance. The left is just too busy trying to change the very things that the people DON'T want changed.<br /><br />My 0.02.<br /><br />Chris..........

Kiwi Phil

Commander

A good victory.<br />Am a little concerned about Howards direction with health and education, but that is all. I for one don't have to many worries in this area as can afford the health cost and the private schooling for the youngest.<br />(I believe a society is judged by the way in which they treat their most vulnerable though).<br />On the other side of the scale, business has been good/steady (little fluctulations) since he has been in, so I look forward to another 3yrs of the same.<br />So good result.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

EFIS

Seaman Apprentice

Thank God that most Australian's didnt believe in a change for the sake of change. Like Kiwi Phil says Health and Education could be a little better, but otherwise we are going ahead in leaps and bounds