Confused about these parts

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I need a new gimbal bearing, I got the serial number off my drive so I'm looking at the right stuff on mercruiser parts but I don't understand why there are 3 different gimbals, I would think when using my specific outdrive serial it would show me exactly what I need.

maybe you guys can help, you're looking at part 21, notice there are 3 parts for 21 and they are not cheap, no idea which I need.

I believe the first one is a kit, (more than one bearing) the second one is the new design, non greasable (maintenance free, your grease point has a plug in the hole), the third is the heavy duty that has a channel for grease so you can grease it from the zerk on the side of the transom plate.
The guy at the dealership told me no one greased the gimbal bearing and that they continue to fail. So Mercury came out with a maintenance free version and put a plug in the grease hole.

I'm rebuilding my drive right now and I am putting this heavy duty bearing in and it does have the channel for the grease in the bearing. I promise to grease my gimbal bearing three times a year like a good boy.
Sierra International 18-2100 Marine Gimbal Bearing https://a.co/d/477tKmu
A much better price option at $58. Quality is same as OEM.

The maintenance free bearing doesn't have a gap in the outer race for grease to get inside of it.

chs marine service

Petty Officer 3rd Class
those are roller bearings, not gimbal bearings. those are inside the drive, in the upper section.
as wellcraft stated, there are 3 types., i tend to lean towards the non greasable bearing myself.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, the gimbal bearing is in the gimbal housing part diagram . . . not part of the outdrive. The is a perma-lube and a grease-able version. Newer drives don't have the grease fitting, so its just the perma-lube.