Condolences to the Birds and the Blues

southkogs

Staff member
About 3PM CST today, Blue Angel #6 wend down about 4 miles from where I am. I've been able to hear details through Civil Air Patrol for the last couple hours as it's been going on. Earlier today, one of the Thunderbirds went down in Colorado. The pilot of the Thunderbird survived. The pilot of the Blue Angel has not been confirmed dead, but everything that I've heard points to it.

These teams (all branch poking jokes aside) are incredible pilots, and all of 'em I've ever encountered are fantastic guys and gals to work with. Best wishes, prayers and condolences to those lost and a sigh of relief and "thank you" to those who walked away today.

All of our service men and women - many of you on the forums - face the dangers of combat, training and day to day ops. We thank you all.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yep. We were hoping to go up and meet a friend from my other forum, hang out on the boats and see what we could see. Not sure if they will cancel heard on the news last time this happened in 07 they did have the show.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Blue Angels pilot died.

Captain Jeff Kuss

Last edited:

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Our son lives in Nashville and sent us a text saying the pilot was over residential area and stayed with it to put it down in an 8 acre field hoping to save other lives which he probably did. My hat's off to him and a proper salute!!
Mike

southkogs

Staff member
Lots of speculation on the crash ... very few details about the crash (and I'm kinda' closer than most to the action). Whatever it was happened on the down slope from the maneuver (can't recall the name of it) #6 does after coming off the runway. He was right on the path off the runway for the airport, but I believe your son is probably correct that he angled the dive to stay away from residences. From all that I've heard about the site, he did try to eject but didn't make it.

Blues are not performing this weekend (though the airshow will proceed), and our thoughts and prayers go out to the crews and the families.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My thoughts and prayers are with all affected today by these tragedies!

Tnstratofam

Commander
I was blessed to see the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels perform both as a young civillian from the stands, and as a young Airman up close and personal. They are truly awesome and have always been inspiring to me. I still get goose bumps when I hear the low roar of one of our jets fly by.

I am so glad the Thunderbird pilot safely ejected, and so sad the Marine pilot could not. Any time a tragedy like this occurs I feel a huge sense of loss.

Prayers to the Family, Friends, and fellow soldiers of Captain Kuss.

Prayers also sent to the families of the soldiers lost in Texas yesterday at Foort Hood who's truck overturned in flood waters.

Yesterday was a hard day for our troops. Actually they all are. God Bless my brothers and sisters in arms.

angus63

Captain
On Sunday May 29, the Blue Angels performed by my home. While in the yard with the family, we heard the jets approaching and filmed a quick video. Dedication and skills unmatched. Rest easy Capt. Kuss and Thank You!

https://youtu.be/JKBnYBQ241w