Condensation/water in oil?

Erik34711

Cadet
I’ve changed the oil and is milky brown almost looks like dirt. Any tips how to remove all the sludge out of there? Please help. Bought the boat 2 years ago knowing it was flooded on a trailer meaning water level reached the oil panel. I wasn’t expecting this to happened 2+ years later or do I have to worry about a bigger problem?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Change oil. Launch boat. Run it hard for an hour minimum.

My guess is you are putting around at slow speed in cold temps. You need to get oil temp over 210F to vaporize the condensation

stresspoint

Ensign
what motor ?.

brown oil , sludge in rocker covers , sorry to say but i think you have a bigger problem than just some condensation.
it is a possibility there is water getting into the oil somehow ( crack in block , cylinder head gasket ,intake corrosion ,etc) , you must find the cause ASAP or you will damage the bearings in the motor. running on milky oil is never going to end well.

on a lighter note ,it could be your process for changing the oil ,(inboard ?) if you are sucking from the dip stick and not getting all the oil out..

? how many hours on the motor since it was swamped.
? how many oil and filter changes.

tpenfield

Staff member
Maybe some more information on the history.

You've had the boat for 2 years
It had been flooded

Was the engine fine in the past 2 years? Have you used the boat much in the past 2 years?

Now there is water in the oil

Was this recent?

You changed the oil . . . (when ?)

Now it is milky again (right?)

I'm thinking a bigger problem. Are you in an area with cold temperatures?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
agreed with all the above you need to get that boat running long & hard enough to see if that moisture burns off. If so then make sure it’s not running too cold (VP judging by red paint, should have a 160* stat and run at about that temp) due to a stuck open thermostat. If the oil is still milky then you have to start checking all the usual causes. Intake gaskets on the Vortec engines can be a trouble spot. A crack in the intake, cyl heads, block, or exhaust can cause this problem, as could blown head gaskets.

Erik34711

Cadet
Hey guys thank you so much for all the suggestions firsthand! She is still running perfectly Whit the oil changes. The boat is a 2006 Chaparral 4.3 GXi 6 cylinder engine with 228 hours on it. I’m in Florida the previous owner had not used the boat much. I put over 80 hours on it total since I bought it. Changed the oil last year didn’t notice anything out of normal. Last year I have put maybe 30 hours on it.
Yes did 2 oil changes on it so far and it was still milky. The white scum is on top of the valve cover. I’m afraid it’s something bigger then just condensation. Every time I open the oil cap I get droplets of water on it.
Yes the boat was trailer flooded. Meaning they left the plug in the boat the battery went dead and float switch did not turn the bilge pump on so I’m assuming it was hopefully rain water.
When it comes to the temperature I do have a hard time getting to or above 175 degrees. Running temp is around 150-165 degrees.
Last oil change I have notice a small oil leak behind the sea pump pulley could the water find its way that way? I’ve never owned an I/O before!!! Definitely a pain to work on it!

Thanks again for all your input!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Same issue when I run on my 140-acre lake at the cabin. The only way to get the condensation out is to run it 1/2 hour wide open to clear it out. Silly to do on a small lake. I'll take it out on Lake Superior for a run to the apostle islands, about a dreaded "three-hour" tour or more. I run it at various throttle but on the way back it's up on plane and not quite wide open, but the oil is clean as a whistle when done. You have to burn off the condensation. Hope that's all it is.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Up here on Lake Superior, the thermostat required Is 140*. makes it harder to get the moisture out with those cooler temps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How do I test the engine pressure?
Isolate and block the line from the raw water pump and the lines to the manifolds. Drain the block and heads of water, and pressurize to 15psi. It should hold pressure forever. If you loose pressure, listen for the hissing. That is your leak

Erik34711

Cadet
Isolate and block the line from the raw water pump and the lines to the manifolds. Drain the block and heads of water, and pressurize to 15psi. It should hold pressure forever. If you loose pressure, listen for the hissing. That is your leak
Thank You so much!