Concerned about Hull Config / Cramped Engine Bay

bdiboat

Recruit
Hi all, I'm looking at an 07 chaparall 210 ssi. After looking the boat over, the ONLY initial concern I have is the lack of engine access.

How big of a concern is this? It seems like it should be a pretty big factor in purchasing a 15yr old boat. If I'm going to attempt my own maintenance, I feel like this could add a huge headache. Let's assume I simply have a shop/mechanic work on it... will this cramped compartment add a factor to labor cost?

It is pretty well blocked off and sealed on the sides, but even worse, access above and behind seems pretty well cut off. Really only around 1/3 of the engine is exposed.

Anyone with experience with boats with jump seats around motor bay / engine compartment like this feel like weighing in?

Attachments

• rearshot2.jpg
    rearshot2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 34
  • enginebay.jpg
    enginebay.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37

briangcc

Commander
That has more room than I do in mine.

Realistically, marinas work on boats like this all the time and probably have a process/procedure for almost everything. If not, they have the tools to pop the engine out/in....just gonna be a cost of owning the boat.

I'd be more concerned with condition. Those dirty hoses and bilge stick out to me. I mean, what's a bottle of bilge cleaner and some rags to wipe the hoses down??

tpenfield

Staff member
You probably need to be buying a bigger boat to get more engine bay space.

Don't worry about extra labor from a mechanic, they are going to charge you for more hours than it actually took anyway 🤪

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Think about how you’d change a starter or even worse a power steering actuator (up against the transom mount). You can’t even reach the distributor cap! I wouldn’t buy a boat set up like just on principle. But, if someone gave it to me lol the first thing I’d do is take it to a fiberglass shop and make that whole rear panel removable. It could be secured with various types of fasteners like Dzus fasteners used on planes and vintage hot rods.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Hi all, I'm looking at an 07 chaparall 210 ssi. After looking the boat over, the ONLY initial concern I have is the lack of engine access.

How big of a concern is this? It seems like it should be a pretty big factor in purchasing a 15yr old boat. If I'm going to attempt my own maintenance, I feel like this could add a huge headache. Let's assume I simply have a shop/mechanic work on it... will this cramped compartment add a factor to labor cost?

It is pretty well blocked off and sealed on the sides, but even worse, access above and behind seems pretty well cut off. Really only around 1/3 of the engine is exposed.

Anyone with experience with boats with jump seats around motor bay / engine compartment like this feel like weighing in?
That's not terrible, I wouldn't let it stop me if the rest of the boat was good. I does have the remote oil filter. Bill issues are oil change and drain spots for manifolds and block during winterization.

I have a similar sized sea ray with a bench across the back vs the jump seats. That configuration is better In my opinion, except you are leaning over the seat back down in for low items like drains and spark plugs...

Again wouldn't stop me if I liked the boat price was right etc

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I do as much of my own maintenance as possible, but much of what I do would be pretty hard with that set up. That looks really tight.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

If it looks difficult to access the engine, it will become worse than you imagined, when you do have to service it, or things like the Steering Linkage. All the stuff you can't easily reach, including the engine was likely installed before the Cap was attached to the Hull...
Myself, I wouldn't even consider that kind of Nightmare, besides those 2 Jumpseats it provides, are only good for small children to sit in
If it had the 4 cylinder engine, it might be acceptable but when they shoehorn in a V6 or V8, no way

flashback

Captain
Think about how you’d change a starter or even worse a power steering actuator (up against the transom mount). You can’t even reach the distributor cap! I wouldn’t buy a boat set up like just on principle. But, if someone gave it to me lol the first thing I’d do is take it to a fiberglass shop and make that whole rear panel removable. It could be secured with various types of fasteners like Dzus fasteners used on planes and vintage hot rods.
LOL every time I as you guys a question like that y'all say pull the motor. And truthfully that is the right answer in a lot of cases..

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
LOL every time I as you guys a question like that y'all say pull the motor. And truthfully that is the right answer in a lot of cases..
On this unit, the boat would likely need to be split to even do that.
A questionable purchase when new and under warranty(everything is the Dealers problem), but one the Warranty ends, the 'For Sale' Signs appear on these boats

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Removing the that Rear Panel might compromise the the Hulls Integrity by removing Structure. Dzus Fasteners aren't the same as a few layers of Glass

flashback

Captain
Classic case of the sales department and design in bed with each other and the service department in the doghouse...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Classic case of the sales department and design in bed with each other and the service department in the doghouse...
Like how Cars have been built the past 25 years. Have to take the front of the car off to replace a Head Light bulb

IKFT2160.JPGSZXQ6336.JPG

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
IMO, 21 foot is a bit small for an I/O for precisely the worry you have. An OB is a better way to go on a boat that size. You also get a lot more cockpit room. You do have to give up 1/2 the swim platform, however.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2013 caddy cts and with a little finesse and ingenuity I have figured out how to do a headlamp in less than 15 min. Probably same with most of the maintenance on that motor.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Removing the that Rear Panel might compromise the the Hulls Integrity by removing Structure. Dzus Fasteners aren't the same as a few layers of Glass
My 88 F/W doesn’t have a panel like that and all these years it’s been fine; I see what you’re saying but that is just a horrible design. The manufacturer should be ashamed! Forcing the boat owner to pay for pulling the engine to change a starter? Engineering malpractice I call it. Walk away fast from bad designs like that!!!!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I was in the same situation some years back, knowing that I do most of my own work, and knowing what marine service can cost, I walked away from a number of boats that had restricted acess to the engine. I ended up getting a Starcraft 22' Islander, it had enough room to acess three sides of the motor. Being an almost 30 yr old boat, I knew I would be glad I had that extra space !!! My pockets are not deep enough to have all my service done at a marina, and I want it done correctly which not that many do....

bdiboat

Recruit
IMO, 21 foot is a bit small for an I/O for precisely the worry you have. An OB is a better way to go on a boat that size. You also get a lot more cockpit room. You do have to give up 1/2 the swim platform, however.

Thank you for your response and everyone else's. I only had a short window to look at the boat initially - and I tried to look at everything I could - in used boat hunting I guess I've realized it helps to get eyes on it if possible before going further so you can eliminate it if you don't like what you see (some pictures hide gouges wear etc).

On one boat I saw, the water test was the first time I saw it. The water test failed which told me what I needed, but I don't think I would have pursued a water test if I had seen the boat in person (which showed excellent in pictures, even pictures that included 'the bad' looked good).

I liked what I saw in the short time with the boat here that I posted about, and wanted to look more, but had a time crunch. Later I reflected thinking the engine bay was tiny and cramped, and posted here.

I was able to see the boat again for an in depth review and I agree with what you said, actually the engine access is quite good here. Good luck if you need access to anything at the engine, but everything else is pretty accessible / visible / and at the same height as you (don't need to be upside down over a bench).

The reason I replied to you: You mention 21ft best for O/B.

Here is my question: I am in Michigan. I/O is extremely common, in fact I can hardly recall seeing any O/B bowriders/deckboat/fiberglass of this size. I guess I'll keep my eyes open. I previously had a 16ft O/B bowrider, I realize the utility - I never had a problem with the motor. I realize a lot of responders here have their minds made up about O/B superiority. I understand that on saltwater, but for a 20ft+ fiberglass bowrider/tubing/family fun boat? I feel like this might be a newer trend too, with O/B gaining in popularity... is that true?

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Toss up....have had both, here is my thoughts...I/O..easier to work on, parts are cheaper, more maintenence, usually better fuel economy. With an OB....more room in the boat, OB is more expensive up front, parts are more expensive, however easier to repower even though more costly. They each have there plusses and minuses. You have to decide what works..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Thank you for your response and everyone else's. I only had a short window to look at the boat initially - and I tried to look at everything I could - in used boat hunting I guess I've realized it helps to get eyes on it if possible before going further so you can eliminate it if you don't like what you see (some pictures hide gouges wear etc).

On one boat I saw, the water test was the first time I saw it. The water test failed which told me what I needed, but I don't think I would have pursued a water test if I had seen the boat in person (which showed excellent in pictures, even pictures that included 'the bad' looked good).

I liked what I saw in the short time with the boat here that I posted about, and wanted to look more, but had a time crunch. Later I reflected thinking the engine bay was tiny and cramped, and posted here.

I was able to see the boat again for an in depth review and I agree with what you said, actually the engine access is quite good here. Good luck if you need access to anything at the engine, but everything else is pretty accessible / visible / and at the same height as you (don't need to be upside down over a bench).

The reason I replied to you: You mention 21ft best for O/B.

Here is my question: I am in Michigan. I/O is extremely common, in fact I can hardly recall seeing any O/B bowriders/deckboat/fiberglass of this size. I guess I'll keep my eyes open. I previously had a 16ft O/B bowrider, I realize the utility - I never had a problem with the motor. I realize a lot of responders here have their minds made up about O/B superiority. I understand that on saltwater, but for a 20ft+ fiberglass bowrider/tubing/family fun boat? I feel like this might be a newer trend too, with O/B gaining in popularity... is that true?
21 ft is fine for an IO. Yes In salt or brackish go OB but like you I boat in fresh water and IO is king. I wouldn’t trade my full width swim platform for and OB

While I prefer the full bench in the back you end up back heavy when four people are sitting there and u are pulling up skiers … if u like the boat buy it , there is no perfect set up.