Concern about hairline cracks in boat

soulhawaii

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, I bought my first boat, and I got it for a crazy good deal, it was sitting for about 2 years. a 2004 Seaswirl open bow. While cleaning it out, I noticed 2 things that concern me, and I'm hoping to get some input with pictures that are attached. The first concern is some hairline cracks in the front of the boat, mostly around edges of the floor corners of the bow, and at the front of the bilge area.

The second concern is the transom area, I don’t see any cracks or issues that I could find, but I did notice per one of the pictures, where the transom back meets with where the floor starts by the engine, there almost seems to be some fiberglass lifting, hopefully you can see by the picture. If I need to post more pictures or anything like that please let me know!

Attachments

• photo328705.jpg
    photo328705.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 5
  • photo328706.jpg
    photo328706.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo328707.jpg
    photo328707.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 5
  • photo328708.jpg
    photo328708.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 4

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Never a good sign.....
Something is flexing in the underlying structure. Need to find out what and remedy. They will only get worst until fixed

mr 88

Commander
The first two pictures ,issues , I wouldn't worry about . Common with almost all glass boats. Depending on how they laid up the gelcoat or even how it was pulled from the mold may be the cause of your spider cracks .Sometimes its the flexing that cause them or even drying of the gelcoat over time. Cosmetic not structural. Really cant get a good perspective on the 3rd picture to comment.

soulhawaii

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for the quick replies, I think my biggest concern is the 4th picture, the transom area I just want to make sure that is not a huge problem. The 3rd picture is the floor of the bow.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The #4 transom crack looks serious. That's structural, not cosmetic. You need to have a professional look at it. Likely rotten wood underneath.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Can you get a picture of the transom crack from a bit farther back, to provide some idea of where we’re looking?