Computer virus invades Iran's Nuclear facility

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Computer virus invades Iran's Nuclear facility

That virus can be programmed into any circuit board chip used to control centrifuges, it doesn't need to enter thru a computer itself, it can be built into engineering equipment that is computer controlled (just bout everything)

So they can isolate their computers all they want but they still have to connect the computers to the equipment to make uranium...bingo.

It could be in printers and sit dormant for yrs.

I wonder if it can be transmitted thru power lines.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I have no sympathy!! They received an early x-mas gift!!!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Fascinating article.

gonefishie

Commander

That's awesome. 007 goes digital. Next stop, N. Korea.

robert graham

Admiral

Very interesting!...maybe cyber-terrorism/war is the next big thing....good movie material for a guy like Oliver Stone....

robert graham

Admiral

Great! and I hope they send that virus worm right up Ahmadinejad's butt!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

The scary part is that if we have the technology, others aren't far behind. Imagine, viruses shutting down the banking industry, Wall Street, generating plant process computers, traffic control computers, air traffic control. The list is endless.

robert graham

Admiral

We better figure out how to stay ahead of this stuff or they could shut us down!

gonefishie

Commander

The scary part is that if we have the technology, others aren't far behind. Imagine, viruses shutting down the banking industry, Wall Street, generating plant process computers, traffic control computers, air traffic control. The list is endless.

Isn't amazing how movies predict the future? I often wonder if writers, directors know stuff before most or if the peoples that make their visions come true get ideas from movie.

Woodnaut

Chief Petty Officer

I've been following this story (everyone in the field of control systems has) for some time...

Yep. I work in a group of about 40 electrical/software engineers, technicians and designers. Everyone was entrigued with this story when it popped simply because of the incredible precision of this code. No, this wasn't done by some kid in his basement - which is why I'm wondering just what sort of precision misinformation has been disseminated in its wake.

sprintst

Commander

jonesg

Admiral

Who knows what kind of packet sniffing went on and what kind of info was gathered. They are saying it was unintentional but I think it's kind of hard to miss that amount of traffic.

The Chinese must be thinking to themselves they could have infected themelves too.:D

Cheap labor doen't make them smarter.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd be more concerned about this one. Cyber warfare will be the next big thing and China has a big head start.

Who knows what kind of packet sniffing went on and what kind of info was gathered. They are saying it was unintentional but I think it's kind of hard to miss that amount of traffic.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/nov/15/internet-traffic-was-routed-via-chinese-servers/

If this is the story about the internet traffic that was routed through China temporarily... I believe it's still happening from time to time.

Computing in general and Linux in particular is a huge hobby of mine. I've seen more than one mention SINCE that incident of people doing trace routes while trying to solve some network problem and coming back with obviously Chinese IP's in the routing results. Then, they try it again, and it's normal, not 30 seconds later.:eek:

Now I realize that routes are chosen dynamically but China? I have a bit of trouble with the notion that sending it half way around the world and back was the best route from Texas to California...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I didn't know they had computers in N. Korea

They most certainly do. They aren't, however, connected to the internet. They have their own government sponsored "intranet" with "approved" content.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

They most certainly do. They aren't, however, connected to the internet. They have their own government sponsored "intranet" with "approved" content.

Do you mean the north korean people/masses do not have the WWW????

Was there not a NK virus attack a few years back???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Do you mean the north korean people/masses do not have the WWW????

Nope, and they don't have cell phones either and also barely have regular phones.

gonefishie

Commander

Again, I am not saying they did, but if this was done by the US government it was the dumbest thing possible and the ramifications are going to be with us a very long time.

Well, lets hope they already have the fix for it. Unless, it's so potent with no fix and they used it anyway.