Computer Killer

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
I don't know what happened last week, but this dang on thing got really screwed up. I couldn't run any programs. (not even the calculator). When I would try, there would be a restrictions warning pop up and say "Restricted due to the restrictions in effect on this computer." <br /><br />All it would do was let me look at files. Kept coming across a file named mIRC. It was a hidden file and was the culprit. The more I tried to delete the files, the more corupt my computer become. :( <br /><br />Friday night I worked 8 hours on trying to get the restore disc to work. I screwed things up so bad, the display started saying :No operating system found"!. :mad: On my disc drive, the computer kept saying there wasn't one. Tried several attempts to have it re-installed, but no go. :eek: <br /><br />Got up Saturday morning all depressed thinking I would have to go shopping for a new unit. Then the ole redneck thinking came about. So I thought I would hook up the ribbon cable from drive "F" to drive "D" and didn't hook up the CD burner. Computer saw that drive D was gone so it installed drive "F". Then it allowed me to run my restore disc. 6 hours later, I'm back up and running. I'm not hip to computers, but I am amazed at myself for getting it back up and running. :D <br /><br />That mIRC is a chat room site, according to the date and time it was created on my computer, nobody was even home. Was I hacked? I did get a file with a user ID, IP address, Local host, and an email address. Should I give this info to Road Runner? :confused: <br /><br />So I'm back on line again. I was so close to giving up the internet, but this Forum is what pushed me to get it fixed. Just can't do without all the friends here at Iboats! :D

Moose_Miller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Computer Killer

I use mIRC on occasion for music, movies and such. It's chat, file sharing and the like. Alot of rough characters on mIRC that like to try and send ya viruses and what not, but I can't see how having the mIRC file on your computer would affect any other programs. MIRC's been around since the start of the internet and I've had it on every computer I've owned with no problems. The only way you can get infected by one of the viruses they try and send you is if you open it. I just right click on em and delete em when they come my way. MIRC should be an entire folder, with sub-folders and other miscellaneous files. Is the "mIRC" you got a "file" or a "folder"? A virus can have whatever name you choose for it. The possibility exists you got a virus named mIRC, and not the file. Right click the file and choose properties and give me the info - file size, extension, etc., and I'll let you know if it's the same thing as mine.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi Moose, Not sure what exactly gone on with the MIRC. Nobody here had downloaded it. It just ended up being on my computer. I would uninstall it as I would uninstall any other program. Then the next day it would be back on an running. When it would run, my system would slow down to almost a stand still. I lost everything when I finally got it restored. But it is up and running again. I'm not an expert on the data that goes on iside these things. <br /><br />Its snowing again,,,,,2 to 3 for today and 2-4 for tonight. Yuk,,, Yuk,,,Yuk,,, :( :(

magster65

Commander

That sounds like typical 'destructive' virus. A lot of them place a command prompt in your registry so every time you start your computer it infects some more files. You can delete files 'til the cows come home but the virus is still there. My wife and I have our computers networked at home and have had the run around with a couple nasty ones. I work for an outfit that has about 400 networked computers and all of our techs. agree that Norton Anti Virus (NAV)is the best protection available. If you go to Kazaa / products / download (have to download Kazaa, it's like Napster was only it shares a lot more types of files) and do a search for Norton 2003 professional you will find a 'cracked' copy of that program. Download that and install it. There's a ton of other neat stuff there too but make sure you have the new NAV in place first. Those jerkass creators of viruses have infected files there too for unsuspecting people to download. Good luck.

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sounds virus related to me. there are a few around that really mess things up. What you were going through sounds exactly like one of my friends was describing. He mentioned that there are a few that come through but fool the virus scan programs into thinking they cleaned the virus, after the reboot they are still there, then they finally get to the point of denying access. <br /><br />If you have a virus scan program, set the email settings to delete infected files not quarantine them. <br /><br />Make sure your virus scanner engine and virus definition files are updated. If you have DSL or Cable modem, have your virus scanner update automatically every day. Night is good. Set your virus scanner to automatically scan your hard drive in the background automatically. If you have DSL or a cable modem, get a hardware firewall. They are easy and work well.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Last 6 years hadn't had any problems, guess its time to put a ****** on the ole hard drive. Updating to Nortons. Thanks ... SS

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

When you download Norton 2003 Pro It has Norton Ghost. Install Ghost also and it puts a Ghost in your system tray. Also make a floppy version also. Once a month/week or so, Run Ghost and make a copy of your hard drive (Bootable Clone Copy) that if this hapens again, Just Ghost the copy back to C: and your back in business with everything that you had on your computer at the time you made the Ghost Clone Copy. Then just add the files from other backups that are more recent than the Ghost Clone. Saves a bunch of time, but you either need 2 drives, one to run on and one to put the Ghost copy on, the drive that you are Ghosting to has to be big enough to hold the used portion of C:. Or if you have a one big hard drive you can partition it in half, use one half for C: nad the other half for your Ghost Copy. If this sounds confusing, feel free to call or E-Mail me and I can walk you through it. My # is 425-258-1153<br /><br />Craig