computer clean up

clanton

Rear Admiral
What dos command will wipe hard drive clean. Format C I think, but cant remember the rest of the command. <br /><br />Thanks.

jee70611

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: computer clean up

I'm pretty sure it is "format c:" without the quotes provided that the "c" drive is the one you want to format. You can also use it for other drives just by changing the letter to the letter of the one you want to format. If it's the system drive you want to format then use the "format c:" one.

petryshyn

Commander

Hey Clanton, hows it going'<br /><br />"format c: /q" will get the job done fast<br />if you are concerned about viruses and the like, also use "fdisk /mbr" to clean up the boot sector. . .<br /><br /> :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Schematic, does it matter which OS you are using?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Schematic, Im fine a lot has been happen the past 12 months, I even went back to work.Im working for Evinrude/Suz dealer, custom pontoon builder.

ndemge

Commander

If win95 or 98, or 2000 you need a boot disk to get into dos. Booting to "Dos Mode" will not let you format the hard drive.<br /><br />A old DOS Install Disk #1, or a win 95/98 cd rom bootable installation disk will also alow you to boot directly into DOS.<br /><br />If you are putting windows 2000 or XP on it, you don't have to worry about formating first, because one of the first steps in the installation process, it asks you if you want to format, or leave the origonal file system intact. You just select format. Use NTFS instead of FAT32. The ONLY benifit of using FAT32, is if you ever had to physically remove the hard drive and put it in a win98 machine to view the files, any chance you will ever be doing that? probably not.<br /><br />If you need any help in your re-installation, or want some more tips, let me know.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If I go to programs and click on MS-DOS promt, the screen goes black and I can type in a command and it will wipe the drive clean, I have done this before, but cant remember the command, the command started with a slash and ended with a slash. I reload from a CD without a boot disc. I use Win 98, my 2nd Ed 98 disc is bad. I probley need a new computer.

Xcusme

Commander

Take a look at this site.<br /> http://www.bootdisk.com/ <br /> http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm <br /><br />Grab the bootdisk maker for the flavor of DOS you need/want. For FAT32 systems , the Dos 6.2 works well. The exe file will create a bootable DOS diskette (1.4 meg blank floppy is needed).<br /><br />The boot floppy will contain both format.com and fdisk (if you need /want to re-partition the drive)<br /><br />The DOS command:<br />Fdisk /mbr will reset the hard drives Master Boot Record if you suspect you may have a virus problem. Using the fdisk command, you can delete the drives partition and then re-create it again.<br />After Fdisk partitions the drive, you'll have to reboot using your boot floppy and then do a format of the hard drive.