compression

jwsimmons

Seaman
Does anyone know what a normal compression reading would be for a a973 4hp johnson. I tried and got 45 psi. I thought maybe this is a little low but I'm probably or at least hoping I'm wrong. Thank you

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: compression

squirt a little oil in through spark plug and try again. if there's a big change then the rings are worn and need replaced

jwsimmons

Seaman

I used the oil but no change. For some reason after a few tries the flywheel would get stuck and I couldn't crank it over. I had the engine out for a test run 2 weekends ago and it ran great. I figured it have better compression than this.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Might be a stuck ring jw. Did you do a decarb? Course it could also be a nasty scratch on the cylinder wall. 45psi is low. Might consider just pulling the head and get an eyeball on the cylinder wall.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Differences in guages and technique can cause wide variations in psi readings, JW.<br /><br />Do you get the same reading (+/- 15%) on both cylinders? Does the engine start and run well?<br /><br />If yes and yes, don't worry about it.<br /><br />If no on either, do a decarb and try again.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

jwsimmons

Seaman

Yes, they are both right around 45 and the engine does run real good. I was just wanting to make sure it's not gonna crash on somone after I sell it. I think maybe I will leave it. The motor and everthing but the cowl looks brand new. The scratches on that are just from transportation. <br /> Thanks guys, I appreciate it.