Compression differences too bad?

coin operated

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1973 Evinrude 115 hp. using JB's method (warming up, pulling all plugs, etc) I get 128 135 120 and 90. Is that too bad to keep using?
The reason I tested it at all is because when I was on the water the other day, at WOT, the motor sounded like it slowed a bit and then it died. I checked my fuel and fuel lines, and didn't see anything. It started up and ran fine to the dock, but I didn't push it back to WOT because I wanted to be sure I made it in. Could this be from the compression? I am sort of a rookie here, but I have replaced the stator, rectifier and power pack on this motor last year. And yes, I changed the impellar, which was harder thatn it should have been, because whoever did it last lost the plastic guide tubes. Any and all advice appreciated.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Compression differences too bad?

Yes it could be? The only way to verify for sure is to remove head/s and do a visual inside of cylinders. Something you might try is, seafoam. It has been said that it really helps although I have never had a reason to use it! Good luck and post your results!

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Compression differences too bad?

The compression difference you measured would not make any noticeable running difference. I would decarb the motor, in the hopes of stuck rings in the low hole. See under Top Secret Files.

Retest compression after one or two decarbs.