Compound Or Sandpaper ??? Fiberglass

FISHBGY

Cadet
Bought a boat that has been sitting in A CLEAN YARD for 15 years,bottom looks made yesterday,sides have a chalky sorta look, what to do first? any ideas. thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Compound Or Sandpaper ??? Fiberglass

Hey FISBGY,

Moving this over to Boat Restoration as you'll get more info in this section. Good luck.

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Sandpaper,compound ??

Start with the least aggressive and work up from that. Maybe a good cleaner wax is all you need.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I sprayed Lysol Mold and Mildew Remover on mine, then rubbed it with a shop cloth and rinsed with water. I went to Bass Pro Shop to get the Mequiars 3-step kit with heavy duty oxidation remover, wax and polish. The heavy duty oxidation remover didn't work great so I went back to Bass Pro and got the One Step Aggressive Cleaner. Now that stuff worked!! After that use the wax and polish. I bet you'll think you have a brand new boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Depends on what you want to accomplish first.....

It's been sitting for and extended period and has not been used....

Step one would be an inspection, evaluations of what you have and then direction of what to do next.

Don't fret the gel coat because most of that is an easy fix. We should be concerned about the engine, outdrive if it has one, is there 15 year old gas in the boat..... yuck.

Pictures We love pictures! Welcome to one of the best restoration areas on the internet!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Nice and pretty boats are not worth a darn if you do not establish the condition of the rest of the vessel.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

DO NOT SAND IT!

That is only oxidation and it should come right off with some rubbing compound and a buffer.

Get a good quality buffing compund,3M makes some that can be had at any auto parts store, start with finish compound and if that doesn't do it move to a medium but go light with this so you don't burn through, it is essentially liquid sand paper.

If it is really really bad nothing more than 2000 grit wet with a sanding block then buff with the finish compound.

When you are talking paint finish even 1000 grit is pretty aggresive, we sand out clear coat with the 2000 then buff and it leaves a perfect finish.

mthieme

Captain

If the oxidation does not come off chemically, use 320 sand paper and wet sand. Finish with clear coat and it will look new.

FISHBGY

Cadet

thanks to all of you for great advice !! it,s one of the first PARKERS ever off the line,pilothouse style,had a Force 150 on it sold it for enough to pay for the boat and trailer,just purchased a Johnson 175 XP to go on it. just need to shine it up a tad. whats the best way to flush fuel tank? thanks again.