Composite Props

BJM

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 17' Regal. I was reading the Regal use Comprops as factory issue. They are certainly cheap to buy. My lake has no hidden dangers in it and I will never smack the prop on anything where I use it. Would a four blade be a good alternative to an aluminum prop?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Composite Props

I've never used a composite prop, but have read many reviews in the various boating magazines. The aggregate opinion seems to be that they work OK. They have sort of a built-in variable pitch in that they "flatten out" under heavy acceleration giving you a lower effective pitch and a good hole shot. As the torque drops, they return to their normal pitch, giving you more top end. I would certainly give it a try, since you already have one. Maybe others have some direct experience with them.

BJM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My first post was unclear, while I do have a Regal, it has an aluminum 19" pitch prop. I am wondering about getting a composite prop to try out for better hole shot. My 115 is maxed out at 19" and 42-43 mph and lugs with a 21" and maxes out at 38-39 or so. I am wondering if a 19" composite might hole shot better when pulling tubes but retain the same top end as the 19".

jeff_nicholas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 4 blade Comprop on my Honda 50 performed poorer on all fronts than the 3 blade aluminum. A Piranha 3 blade (composite) was only a fuzz off the stock aluminum.<br /><br />On my 115 Ficht, the 3 blade Piranha was not up to the stock 3 blade aluminum 15 X 17 and a 4 blade aluminum 15 X 16 gave me more mph/rpm until I got on plane, then it was less mph/rpm, with less WOT rpm.<br /><br />Bottom line opinion from my experience(s):<br />Other than price, you won't see benefits from 'plastic' over aluminum; and unless you've got ponies to spare, a 4 blade is only more drag than a 3.<br /><br />I'm going to give the Turning Point Hustler a try as soon as I can get my hands on one.

radsrh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you looked at the Mercury line of props, they have a few in SS that would be on the upper end of price but if you don't have to worry about replacing it that might work out for you. One benefit that they have is called PVS, it is different sized vents that you can place in the prop hub. By venting the prop they will spin up faster giving a better hole shot, and once the boat is on plain the water flowing over the prop seals the holes and it works just like a non vented prop keeping the same top end. The vents come in three different sizes to let you tailor the amount of rpm gain in the hole shot.

D

DJ

I agree with the others on Com-prop's. My experience has not been good. <br /><br />The performance was relatively the same (70 hp. John.) however they are VERY fragile.

skier

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had a "Comprop" on my 1979 Merc 140. I got pretty good performance from it until one day, I launched, put motor down, went to back of boat to pump the bulb, nothing in the water around prop, started engine, put it in gear and it died, started it again and put in gear and wasn't moving, reved it and started to move very slowly. Got back to the dock and lifted the motor and all four blades were gone. I can take a picture of it, but can't post it on here. I have no idea how that happened at idle. There was nothing in the water to get stuck in there either.<br /><br />Craig

BJM

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had been looking at a SS prop during the summer but I decided I would want to try it before buying it. A local marina told me they offered this service but when I went to take them up on it they said they were mistaken and that they did not offer this service for outboards. I just don't want to spend that much money for possibly little gain.<br /><br />The composite props seemed like a neat idea but they seem likely to break.

ehenry

Commander

I have a composite prop and it works excellently for the application I bought it for....as a spare ! ! It's saved me numerous times but wouldn't run it all the time.