Complete newbie...jumping right in.

cburnscrx

Cadet
Well boys and girls, I am going to purchase a used boat...and my max budget is $3500. I know, yikes. In addition the last time I was on a boat was 1995, and that was an aluminum fishing boat with a 6hp outboard...that's my boating experience. I did however spend over 10 years piloting that craft, so I know about water safety and such.

A little background...I recently bought a house with dock access (my lifelong dream is to live on the lake, but since that's not going to happen anytime soon, this was a good alternative). I am looking for a runabout (open bow) that will seat 4-6 people (adults only, kid free zone) and will be used mostly for touring around the lake looking at all the pretty houses I can't afford and hanging out in cocktail cove, possibly some tubing. It will only be used on a freshwater reservior, and not in rough conditions by any stretch of the imagination.

Right now I am looking at a 1990 Bayliner Capri with a 130hp Mercruiser.

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Complete newbie...jumping right in.

What size is that 1990 Bayliner Capri?
6 Adults requires a lot more boat than 2 Adults and 4 kids.
Look at 18-21 footers.

cburnscrx

Cadet

What size is that 1990 Bayliner Capri?
Look at 18-21 footers.

Supposedly it's a 20ft boat...here's the ad.

Does this raise any red flags??? The pics look good, but there are no interior pics.

Title:"1990 Bayliner 1400 Capri"

"1990 20ft open bow, Inboard/Outboard Mercruiser 130hp with new marine stereo and speakers, comes with all life jackets, 2 tubes, ropes, trailer, aluminum prop. Has a Stainless prop on the boat now. Boat is in excellent shape. Runs great. Best part about this boat is it can run all day on one tank of fuel. The back seats do need to be reupholstered from getting in and out of the boat. Dont have time for boat any more these summers so going to sell it."

I am going to go take a look at it, but I am not exactly boat savy. I had to google "Gimbal bearing" if that helps you know where I am coming from. I do almost all of my own car repairs, and am pretty mechanically inclined, so if it needs fixed, I can probably do it, I just need to know what I am looking at to fix it. haha

UncleWillie

Captain

The Red Flag is the seller does not know what he has; Is he really the owner.
A 1400 Capri is a 14 foot boat and will be real tight for 4 adults.

If the title is NOT in His Name, turn around and run and do not look back!

cburnscrx

Cadet

That's what I thought...the 1400 usually was an indicator of boat length. From the pictures it looks like it should be a 20 ft boat, but then again they're just pictures so it's a bit hard to tell. I googled a 20ft Bayliner and it looks like the boat he's showing in his pictures.

The two pictures show it attached to the truck on the trailer, and another, which I assume to be current, in a very nice pole barn/newer metal garage in with the boat in storage on the trailer.

As for the title...no title, no deal. Period. I used to "flip" cars for extra cash, so I know what a nightmare that could end up being. I never bought anything that didn't have a title in hand.

Here are my concerns...The title of the listing says 1400 but he lists it as a 20ft boat...
130hp mercruiser in a 20ft boat...would that be right? Seems small for a 20ft boat, but then again I know nothing. Thoughts?

briangcc

Commander

It *might* be an 1800 series boat which tapes out around 17'6". In that instance, a 130HP engine would be reasonable. I would run from a 20' with a 130HP engine....unless its a aluminum hull (read alot lighter than fiberglass). It'll be severely underpowered if that's the true HP rating and I'd walk away from it.

Got a link to the ad so we can see what you're referring to?

**Personal preference...I'd be looking in the 5.0L engine range for a 20' fiberglass boat. You can always run it slower but its darn near impossible to add HP when you need it when you're out on the water...

cburnscrx

Cadet

It *might* be an 1800 series boat which tapes out around 17'6". In that instance, a 130HP engine would be reasonable. I would run from a 20' with a 130HP engine....unless its a aluminum hull (read alot lighter than fiberglass). It'll be severely underpowered if that's the true HP rating and I'd walk away from it.

Got a link to the ad so we can see what you're referring to?

**Personal preference...I'd be looking in the 5.0L engine range for a 20' fiberglass boat. You can always run it slower but its darn near impossible to add HP when you need it when you're out on the water...

Ask and you shall receive...

1990 Bayliner 1400 Capri

cburnscrx

Cadet

Well, I am hoping to take a look at this boat tomorrow...

What am I looking for? Soft floors, sure. Anything else? Is it possible to hear it run out of the water? I really don't know what I am getting into, but I am certain with some help I can buy something reasonable.

Thanks!

NYBo

Admiral

If it's really a 20-footer, it's a 2050. I don't think they came with the 3.0l motor.

Look very carefully for soft spots in the cockpit sole (a.k.a. "deck" or "sole"). Bayliner didn't seal the plywood very well, and they are very susceptible to rot. Once it starts in the sole, it often means the stringers are bad, too. Transom rot is also a problem with these.

64osby

Admiral

It should be winterized, if not run away. Frozen non winterized blocks tend to crack.

cburnscrx

Cadet

And being a complete newbie...how will I know if it's winterized?

cburnscrx

Cadet

Yes, i would agree from the limited research I've done...it doesn't seem like that engine went with that boat. I am interested in taking a look at it, and snapping some photos for everyone to look at.

16victor

Seaman

My advice: listen to these guys. Don't get caught up in the excitement of it. Be sober. Look at several boats. Ask questions, look at features. Research online. Learn what good vs bad is (i.e., engine driveline choices, signs of rot or damage, what is included, options, knowledge of prior maintenance, etc.)

I did just the above after soliciting advice in this very forum and was damned glad I did. I believe I made a good choice by following the advice I got here (despite my acknowledged lack of patience) and hope you will too.

Best - and enjoy the search,

Ron

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Well boys and girls, I am going to purchase a used boat...and my max budget is $3500. I know, yikes. In addition the last time I was on a boat was 1995, and that was an aluminum fishing boat with a 6hp outboard...that's my boating experience. I did however spend over 10 years piloting that craft, so I know about water safety and such.

A little background...I recently bought a house with dock access (my lifelong dream is to live on the lake, but since that's not going to happen anytime soon, this was a good alternative). I am looking for a runabout (open bow) that will seat 4-6 people (adults only, kid free zone) and will be used mostly for touring around the lake looking at all the pretty houses I can't afford and hanging out in cocktail cove, possibly some tubing. It will only be used on a freshwater reservior, and not in rough conditions by any stretch of the imagination.

Right now I am looking at a 1990 Bayliner Capri with a 130hp Mercruiser.

Try out this thread. The guy was looking to spend a little less than you but a lot of the same questions and we looked at 3 different boats with him. Might help you out with a little info. :D:D:D

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-buying-my-fist-89-bayliner-capri-589965.html

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Do you know anyone that is boat savy that can go with you? 4 eyes are better than 2 when looking for problems. A couple guys would be better yet. If you get serious about buying you should also do a compression test.

Do you know anyone that is boat savy that can go with you? 4 eyes are better than 2 when looking for problems. A couple guys would be better yet. If you get serious about buying you should also do a compression test.
BINGO!!

An internet forum is a okay solution but the right one is to take someone with you that knows what they are talking about. In a pinch if you don't know anyone, try seeing if you can bribe the guy at the local boat shop to go with you - offer him $50 or a case of beer. What you can see in person is much different than what a bunch of guys can spot from a few photos.

I also strongly agree with tazrig. Look at several boats before buying anything. That makes you instantly smarter, just because you know what else is out there. Think of it like getting married. Most of us don't marry the first girl that we date, so don't go buying the first boat that you see. You'll never know how well the other girls can rev your motor!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

^^^^+1 big time!!!

D1vemaster

Cadet

Yes!!!!! I have done this for friends and work acquaintances, even a boss once. An experienced boater with you is invaluable. I pulled several of them away from financial disaster several times.

Friscoboater

Captain

I can vouch for not letting emotion get the best of you. Jut look at my Sea ray restoration and you will see what emotion gets you. Bayliner in that era was know for rotting out quick, so just double check. That one looks clean, but pictures can lie.

cburnscrx

Cadet

Try out this thread. The guy was looking to spend a little less than you but a lot of the same questions and we looked at 3 different boats with him. Might help you out with a little info. :D:D:D

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-buying-my-fist-89-bayliner-capri-589965.html

Interesting read. I think I am going to have to look hard at whatever boat I am going to consider. Unfortunately, I don't really know many people around here, and I know nobody who knows anything about boats.

In an ideal world, I would love an open bow with an outboard, but those are pretty hard to find in my price range, well that and the style I am interested in.