Complete Failure at the Boat Ramp!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Complete Failure at the Boat Ramp!

Re: "I guess we all have been there."

Hopefully not. We may have all had some difficulties, and learning mistakes, but I can't imagine anyone intentionally jumping overboard as part of the docking process, except in extreme situations.
As for cutting the engine--could be he knew he had no brakes and thought that was what you did (i.e.does not understand "neutral").
More likely, though, the engine was in bad mechanical shape and won't hold idle. I'll say I've had that problem, caused by water in the gas, but I addressed it. And while I was having issues, planned and approached accordingly.
Those types, so ignorant yet in big powerful boats, are a real menace. There is a section around here populated by those types and it is a truly scary place to be. Real boaters avoid it.

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hmm...I feel much better about trailering my boat. I cheat a lot and pull the trailer really close to the dock and just walk the boat onto the trailer while staying dry.

I really do need to go hang out at the ramp and people watch. We should get a few of us together and have a little BBQ get together with free entertainment. Anyone go to Lake Perris or Lake Silverwood in CA?

evilnss

Seaman

Hmm...I feel much better about trailering my boat. I cheat a lot and pull the trailer really close to the dock and just walk the boat onto the trailer while staying dry.

If thats cheating then i cheat all the time.

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

yep. jet boat steering can be tough - but he made the cardinal mistake of cutting the engines. Everyone has to start somewhere; hopefully someone will tell him what he's doing wrong before he squashes himself between his 1.5 ton boat and the dock