complete Alpha one Gen one retrofit into older boat.

alldodge

Staff member
Missed the "clamp on" forks
I have a set of them which I use on my Terramite. The clamp on type can be dangerous because they can pivot side ways. Maybe put them direct next to each other and clamp them so they are more ridged

matt167

Captain
skip the tires all together. put two 2x4's on the ground and run the hubs directly on the 2x4's

jack the front of the trailer up until the aft end of the trailer is touching the ground
That’s a good idea. I actually need to decide what I’m doing with that trailer because I may put the boat on another one I have. And the donor boat has a really nice galvanized shoreline trailer but it’s a 16’ boat so I don’t know if the 18’ will fit it. I have 2’ for the tongue to come ahead but I have a properly sized ez loader too that needs new bunks. Decisions decisions.

matt167

Captain
Missed the "clamp on" forks
I have a set of them which I use on my Terramite. The clamp on type can be dangerous because they can pivot side ways. Maybe put them direct next to each other and clamp them so they are more ridged
Yup that’s the plan. I use them all the time and have the spreader but they can be sketchy. I have them for my little tractor which is about the size of a terramite. But he does not have forks so I’ll use them on his big tractor

matt167

Captain
Should I swap the gimbal bearing and bellows in the donor boat? Or can that be done on the bench?

alldodge

Staff member
Don't see swapping the bearing with either method because it will be damaged removing. The bellows would be easier on the bench

matt167

Captain
If the gimbal bearing is still good should I leave it? I planned on new just because. The donor boat had sat from 2014 to 2022 before someone bought it to bring it back to life and gave up because he couldn’t get it running right. I determined how long it sat by peeling the 2024 sticker off. But someone put some coin into the boat back then. New steering cable, new Wise seats. I even have the tags for those. The bellows look useable even though I don’t trust them. Probably new sometime before the boat was shelved.

Fwiw the previous owner gave up because he couldn’t get it to run much above idle. But it was because the tank is empty. I hooked a portable up and it runs perfectly except the idle screw not adjusted correctly

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Turn the bearin',..... is it butter smooth,..??..?? if so, run it,....

If it feels gritty, put a new one in,....