Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

scrobo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

I bought one LED. Coast to Coast AM kind of triggered it in my brain one night so I decided to go ahead with it. It looks cool but the light is so so. I would not suggest it for a kitchen or bedroom. Maybe in tract lighting it would be better. It was too "soft" of a light.

I've got CFLs in my home in every socket not because I want to reduce my carbon footprint but because they are so cheap now and they save $$$$ on the hydro. I can get them here now for 1-2$ per bulb. Thats not too bad.

Anyone heard of the Centennial light? The Centennial Light is the world's longest-lasting light bulb. It is located at 4550 East Avenue, Livermore, California and maintained by the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department. The fire department claims that the bulb is at least 106 years old and has only been turned off a handful of times. Due to its longevity, the bulb has been noted by The Guinness Book of World Records, Ripley's Believe It or Not! and General Electric. The Centennial Light is a four-watt, hand-blown, carbon-filament, common light bulb manufactured in Shelby, Ohio by the Shelby Electric Company in the late 1890s.

You can WIKI or GOOGLE "Centennial light" and find everything out about it. They even have a webcam on it.

i386

Captain

We're gradually switching over to them. She grabs 'em when they're on sale here and there. I noticed 2 boxes of them under the kitchen sink last night. The latest ones she bought look to be smaller than the last batch which I suppose is good. The larger ones won't fit in the enclosure at the front door. So far so good I guess. The only ones we've had to fail over the last 3 years or so was one outside. The best benefit to me is that I'm changing less and less bulbs. She's short, so that's my job.

KM2

Chief Petty Officer

My experience with the cold weather and CFL's is different that what I have been reading here. It was -20 degrees in Minnesota this weekend and I have 3 CFL's outside that all worked fine. I don't know if they were as bright as normal but they all came on just fine. All of my high use bulbs are CFL and I'm switching over the others as they burn out.

(yes - the actual temperature was 20 below zero Fahrenhiet for you southerners)