Commonality with Auto Works

alldodge

Staff member
Things I like and don't like about brands, and yes have NOT owned many Fords

Chrysler 2021
Behind wheel left scan up/down and change preset channels
Behind wheel right up/down volume
Like - Rotate tires or even install new wheels with new sensors and Trucks learns where tires are, even can install sensors in trailer tires and it will auto learn those as you drive
Fingers in door handle and door unlocks, push button on handle and all doors lock
No like - that to unlock other doors have to push unlock inside
No like - 6 speed trans for diesel

Ford 2019
Like - Turn signal blinks 4 times when touched and not held to change lanes
Like - key pad on doors to open/lock but also think that is one way to get it stolen
Like - 10 speed trans for diesel

GM 2023
Like - Cruise control always ON unless turned OFF and just set. One click one mph increase, hard push 5 mph increase
In front wheel up/down volume
Like - Push button on handle once and drivers door unlock, push twice and all doors unlock. Like - Push any door button on any other handle and all doors unlock
No like - have to use special tool to re-learn tire location

Sure wish these guys would get together and make things common

matt167

Captain
Fords will also auto learn TPMS, but they can be reset like a GM as well… fwiw a GM/ Ford tpms reset tool costs about $5 if you catch the right deal. I paid $10 for 2 a couple months ago

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Controls and location should be made somewhat standard.----Talk about distracted driving while finding wiper control.----Or how to set defroster in motion.-----Never mind the controls in electric vehicles.----Not easy for seniors !!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
GM changes things every few years.

There is no standards for auxiliary vehicle controls

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I kind of like non standard controls. Old Saab was like that. Window switches in center console, one set only needed. Convertible switch there as well ... Why should it be on the ceiling? Many other sensible but odd features. The mini on the other hand... It's like they deliberately tried to make everything as unintuitive as possible to try and be cute.

FLATHEAD

Captain
Controls and location should be made somewhat standard.----Talk about distracted driving while finding wiper control.----Or how to set defroster in motion.-----Never mind the controls in electric vehicles.----Not easy for seniors !!
I’m with ya. Three different vehicles to deal with.