College Football Fans

Carphunter

Commander
I can't say that I'm a huge College football fan, but I do watch it enough to know who the good teams are. I was curious. As many of you may know, I am a fan of College Basketball, especially my Louisville Cardinals. Louisville is primarily known for its Basketball, but it seems that the Football team is making a little noise. Louisville's next game is this Thursday against the Miami Hurricanes, (at Miami :eek: ). So, my question is, do you guys think Louisville has a chance to win this game? (I think Miami is ranked #3, and Louisville #18, or 17, or 20) ;) <br /><br />They are saying, around here, that if Louisville could win this game, it could be the programs biggest win ever, because it would mean beating a BCS team on their field. (Louisville did beat Florida State a couple of years ago, but it was at Louisville, and the Seminoles weren't really that good that year).

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: College Football Fans

Of course they have a chance, it's college football. I think they're best chance is if Miami comes out flat, not really expecting a game. I watched my Dawgs come out and do that last week. They dropped one at home (after 18 straight home wins) to a lesser-manned, but hungrier, Tennessee team. Ouch -- it still hurts.<br /><br />What's the spread on that one anyway?<br /><br />Go Dawgs!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

odds are at 9.5 across the board right now in favor of Miami.

JasonB

Lieutenant

Yup, the Vols capatilized on the Dawgs beating themselves. Any given Saturday the underdogs have a chance.... Vanderbilt beat Miss State (without their QB I think) a couple weeks ago by double digits then lost to rutgers last week after leading much of the game by double digits.<br /><br />I love it when top ranked schools get knocked off by an underdog. A couple years ago, my alma mater -Middle Tennessee State which had just made the move to 1A in the Sunbelt conference played Vanderbilt on Vandy's home field and won.<br /><br />Lat night, the expectation was that Green Bay would Beat Tennessee. Wow, did that one come out the other way. If the outcomes were certain, we wouldn't need to play the game.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Barlow,<br /><br />Are you suggesting that there are guys in Las Vegas whose names end in vowels, that know more than us?

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

Does Miami know where and when the game is scheduled? <br /><br />If so, Louisville doesn't have a chance.

mattttt25

Commander

here's one for fans of the game...<br /><br />HE SPORTING NEWS OCTOBER 11, 2004<br />Here's to winning -- with honor<br /><br />By Matt Hayes - SportingNews<br /><br />Sign the letter, kid. Play for State U. and win a championship, and<br />we'll get you ready for<br />those NFL millions.<br />Sign the letter, son. Come to the academy, enrich your life, fight for<br />your country.<br />And play football, too.<br />The sports story of the year is playing out on the shores of the<br />Chesapeake in the<br />beautiful eastern Maryland town of Annapolis. It is here we find the<br />underdog, the hero<br />and that enlightening sense of reality we too often take for granted.<br />It is here we find a<br />team of brothers with an unshakable bond, a gang of glory.<br />If Navy weren't 5-0 for the first time since 1979, if the Middies<br />weren't in the process of<br />turning the college football world sideways with an improbable run at<br />-- holy moly! -- the<br />BCS, it would be just like any fall at Navy. And this weekend's game<br />against Notre Dame<br />would be just like any of the 40 consecutive Irish victories over the<br />Middies.<br />But it's not. A moment of painful perspective before the season opener<br />against Duke<br />made sure of that. Minutes before the game, the team was told Ron<br />Winchester, a star<br />offensive lineman for the Middies in 2000, was killed by a roadside<br />bomb in Iraq. Only a<br />handful of players on the current team knew Winchester, but the<br />enormity and reality of<br />the situation galvanized this group.<br />The team already had turned the corner under third-year coach Paul<br />Johnson and quickly<br />was becoming a factor again in Division I football. Now it had even<br />more motivation.<br />"If you sign that piece of paper to play for Navy," says quarterback<br />Aaron Polanco, "you<br />have to be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice."<br />Want to root for someone this week? Pull for Navy. Not because of Irish<br />hatred or BCS<br />frustration or any other useless, frivolous fight. Pull for the guys no<br />big-time BCS school<br />wants but every man, woman and child in this country desperately needs.<br />Pull for the<br />humble, hard-working Johnson, who used to win national championships at<br />Division IAA<br />Georgia Southern but returned to Annapolis because it was the right<br />thing to do.<br />"What does us being 5-0 mean?" says Johnson, offensive coordinator at<br />the academy in<br />1995 and '96. "We can't be any worse than 5-6."<br />Don't believe it. If a physical, punishing Navy team beats Notre Dame<br />this weekend, the<br />schedule sets up for the Middies to deliver the sports story of the<br />year. After the Irish,<br />Navy finishes with Rice, Delaware, Tulane, Rutgers and Army. No one<br />among that group<br />can handle the precision of Navy's triple-option offense or its<br />physical offensive and<br />defensive lines.<br />So if the Middies run the table and capture our imaginations, how could<br />the Fiesta Bowl<br />not choose a service academy over any other BCS-eligible team? How<br />could the Fiesta<br />Bowl pass on an overwhelming media spotlight and advertising bonanza<br />that would make<br />the Orange Bowl national championship game look like Eastern Michigan<br />vs. Ball State?<br />This is what college sports -- amateur sports -- are all about: the<br />underdog, the<br />unthinkable and the poetry that plays out with every passing week of a<br />magical season.<br />We're so accepting of the green and greed of college football, of<br />strippers, payoffs,<br />booster slush funds and convicted felons with second chances running<br />around campus.<br />Yet we scoff at the honor, discipline and dedication of a team because<br />its players don't<br />have those little BCS stickers on the backs of their helmets.<br />Two weeks ago, Navy traveled across the country to Colorado to play<br />fellow service<br />academy Air Force. Polanco led a last-minute drive, and kicker Geoff<br />Blumenfeld hit his<br />first field goal of the season in the final seconds to help the Middies<br />win one of their two<br />toughest games of the season. They walked off the field to a standing<br />ovation from the<br />crowd in Colorado Springs, Colo.<br />This weekend at Giants Stadium, across the river from a forever-altered<br />New York City<br />skyline, we all know what's at stake.<br />"I don't know that they talk a great deal about the situation in Iraq,"<br />Johnson says. "It's<br />just something they see themselves doing when they graduate. It's what<br />they signed up<br />for."<br />Sign the letter, son.<br />Enrich your life, fight for your country.<br />And be a part of the sports story of the year.

aspeck

Staff member

Carphunter, of course your Cardinals have a chance at winning - every blind squirrel finds and acorn some time!<br /><br />Actually, I will be rooting for them (I will root for almost anybody that is playing Miami). Goes back the the PSU v. Miami rivalry days. You know, back when we had a winning team.

Stratosfied

Ensign

I hope that they win for you Carphunter, as it will help Auburn move on up! ps, Two times Auburn has been a huge underdog against Florida, while they were ranked #1,in the past ten years and they have pulled off the upset. So, I firmly believe that on any given Saturday, any team can beat any other team.

NathanY

Commander

College football, what is that? :D :D :D <br /><br /> HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!!

Carphunter

Commander

Never thought I would be saying this the day after the game, but Louisville gave that one away! :( <br /><br />Man, that was a good game to watch.<br /><br />You guys that don't know Louisville probably don't realize how big this was. In the mid nineteen eighties, they were considering moving Louisville to division II. For Louisville to go to Miami, and nearly pull the upset just shows how far this program has come. Even with the loss, I think Louisville showed everyone that they are on their way up.<br /><br />Sure am proud of them Cardinals. :) <br /><br />A lot of "what ifs" in that game, but personally i'll be content with a three point loss on their turf.<br /><br />I might have to start watchin more College football...................as long as it doesn't interfere with my huntin. ;)

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> College Football and Rassling are the only two sports left on TV!
Rassling is a sport? I thought it was a soap opera ;)

Stratosfied

Ensign

Rassling, cartoons, and soap operas have a lot in common. Ya kinda know what is gonna happen. SEC football around our home is like a major event. We watch and wonder what can happen. Who would have thought that Tennessee would have spanked Georgia last week like they did! I love the atmosphere of college football!!!! :D :D :D :D

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted POINTER94:<br /> Barlow,<br />Are you suggesting that there are guys in Las Vegas whose names end in vowels, that know more than us? <br />
:D ..well when you figure that when you're talkin' to a bookie on the phone and he tells ya to bet on a sure thing while you can hear 'em choking on the mother of all canoli ... yea i think the ravioli would have an idea ... <br /><br /> :D :D ;)

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Stratosfied:<br /> ...Who would have thought that Tennessee would have spanked Georgia ...
Spanked?! SPANKED?! Hey, we had a chance until the very last play of the game! :mad: :p ;) <br /><br />Spanked is what Auburn did to the Vols in Neyland. :D ;) <br /><br />Oh well, it's early yet. Just wished things got easier instead of harder... :cool: