Cold Starting issue OMC 115 + Turbojet on a Four Winns Fling

yakesm72

Cadet
Not Sure if this is the right Forum, Thought I would Try:

Anyone have a good method for coldstarting this engine. Owner's manual says to "Depress the warm up knob". I'm not sure where this is or if it even exists.

My normal startup method is with the boat tied to the dock:

1. turn blower on (wait)
2. turn key to position 1 to prime the carbs with the fuel pump (no bulb).
3. Neutral safety off depress and push to full forward.
4. Turn and push key to choke.
5. Motor starts in 5-10 seconds.
6. Gag and wait for smoke to clear
7. begin untying from dock.
8. Put boat in Nuetral Idle.
9. Repeat steps 3-8 until it actually catches and runs.

Any advice on being able to run this motor cold at idle in neutral would be appreciated by the next guy at the launch ramp waiting for me to get out of his way.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Cold Starting issue OMC 115 + Turbojet on a Four Winns Fling

Moving to the J&E forum. It's an outboard power head (motor) sitting on a jet pump.

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

the "warm up knob" i think is referring to the button on some controls that puts the control in "neutral only" so you dont shift to F/R while warming it up which is what your doing in step 3.

I'm concerned about how your using the "fuel pump" to prime the carbs? can you explain a little further ?

You may be OVER choking the engine causing you to have excessive fumes, also if the gas/oil mix isnt right well, that
too will cause excessive fumes. ( best to have a little more oil in the mix.. but too much can cause carb problems.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Not Sure if this is the right Forum, Thought I would Try:

Anyone have a good method for coldstarting this engine. Owner's manual says to "Depress the warm up knob". I'm not sure where this is or if it even exists.

My normal startup method is with the boat tied to the dock:

1. turn blower on (wait)
2. turn key to position 1 to prime the carbs with the fuel pump (no bulb).
3. Neutral safety off depress and push to full forward.
4. Turn and push key to choke.
5. Motor starts in 5-10 seconds.
6. Gag and wait for smoke to clear
7. begin untying from dock.
8. Put boat in Nuetral Idle.
9. Repeat steps 3-8 until it actually catches and runs.

Any advice on being able to run this motor cold at idle in neutral would be appreciated by the next guy at the launch ramp waiting for me to get out of his way.

LOL that sounds about like my boat too. I do often feel sorry for those down wind. I have found that if you pull back slowly on the throttle you can keep it running and get it warm sooner. My boats sweet spot for a start is about 3/4 throttle and I then pull back to 1/2 bumping the choke if needed. Your in neutral but the jet will push you around a little so you got to stay tied to the ramp till she's warm. If you have a buddy with ya starting the boat in the water on the trailer makes for a bit quicker getaway. Play with using less choke on the initial start. You do not, or should not, have an electric fuel pump so the key has nothing to do with priming the carbs. Try a start first without choke to prime which you can do dry on the trailer while you are readying to back in. There is no water pump on these jets so no damage will occur just don't start it fully. But yea when you get it started keep the idle up until shes warm don't expect it to idle down right away as you are still pumping water unlike a prop that puts no load on the engine at idle. Hope that helps

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the idle speed in neutral when in the water ??

yakesm72

Cadet

Thanks for the input everyone,

I think found my problem. Last night I tryed the nurse it along with the choke (key) in and found that the key is actually sticky, it was not releasing after the inital choke. I pulled it back out and started up and warmed up with minimal smoke was able to idle at the dock for 2-3 minutes at true neutral (no advance) there is no tach to know the rpms.

Once again thanks for the input. Time to go spray a little wd40 in the ignition key.