"Cold Fouling"'

Teseal

Seaman
About at the end of my rope or should I say "line" on this forum, with my older Merc outboard. Been thro a lot with it but I'm about to give up unless someone can help. Here's what I'm up against now; '75 inline Merc 1500, 150hp, carbs removed, cleaned, adjusted, fuel lines and components replaced, tank removed and cleaned, fuel mixture replaced, replace a second time with non ethanol gas ( to correct the green gas problem) wire harnesses replaced, ignition coil and trigger assy replaced (corrected the no spark problem), water pump replaced, mechanical time checked and double checked, all plugs fire, ignition timing at idle 900rpm about 2 degrees ATDC, carb pickup at 6, starts hard cold but does start with fast idle, idle mix adjust doesn't smooth out the idle, idles a bit rough, dies when put in gear in the barrel. That's the first symptom dying when put in gear, the other symptom, after running for less that 10 min the plugs all are what I have learned recently is called "cold fouled" which is covered with what appears to be oil. Haven't replaced the plugs yet. Oh one other symptom the barrel we are servicing it in at the water line has a dark thick black oil line again after running only a few minutes. Yes the mix is correct and mixed good, right now we are running out of a gas can. What in the world do I need to do next? Thx in advance for any of your help.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Haven't replaced the plugs yet..

Your next step. Well it would be mine.

Start it, run it at high idle 25-3500 rpm for 5 minutes. Shut it off, feel the heat of each plug making sure they are similar and hot.

Restart and try it in gear

Teseal

Seaman
Thx Doh will try your suggested next step as soon as I can. Yesterday when I was going to try a similar test by pulling a plug wire one at a time I found another problem, squeezed the primer bulb and gas dripped from the top carb throat. Found one float had gas in it. I don't believe this is the only problem because all 6 plugs seemed to foul but I will need to find a carb float or fix the existing before testing again. I do like your test better, less risk.

Compression was OK all 100 - 105, maybe a bit low but balanced.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The first step after cleaning carb bodies is to replace all gaskets, floats and inlet needles. Make sure float adjustment is precise.

Max spark advance s/b 21*BTDC. Watch for spark plug wires arcing to ground. Watch for water droplets on spark plugs.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are there " bleed restrictors " on those 1975 model 150 HP engines ?----Oil on top of the water is normal for a big 2 stroke and is scary to some observers.---Serial # is ?-----Heat keeps sparkplugs clean.----Those motors do not have a thermostat either.

Teseal

Seaman
Thx Chris1956, could you please elaborate on your concern for water droplets on spark plugs. Kits and floats are on the way for the carbs.

Teseal

Seaman
Sorry Racerone not familiar with bleed resticitors, how would I check and why is it a concern? Your comment regarding the oil on the water sure is a big relieve, thx. sn 4750022, understand no thermo.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bleed restrictor is item 66517------5 of them on your motor.-----A " large " hole is drilled in the block and a wee nylon plug is installed with a small hole.----Bypass covers need to be removed to find them-----I install a drilled 8-32 stainless set screw when putting a block together.---Never to fall out again.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
On those older Merc inline motors, the exhaust covers and exhaust baffle can leak water into cylinders. Also, lower crankshaft seals can leak water into cylinders as well. If you see brown/black and clear droplets on spark plugs, it can be water/fuel mix. It will put the fire out and cause the cylinder to miss.

If you see it on cylinders 5 or 6 it is usually lower crank seal failure. Higher cylinder water usually indicate exhaust cover or baffle is leaking.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That compression number is way low....new was around 130 and the earlier model was 140-150. Recheck with different gauge. Usually dying going into gear is due to wear around ports in cylinder and skirt wear. This results in low crankcase pressure.

Teseal

Seaman
Chris1956 - OK understand the water situation, I'll check now and again after I get the carbs back on.

Will also recheck compression as suggested.

I was pretty certain the sn with the 475 represented April 1975

Parts are on the way and I should have it back up before the end of the week, update you all then, THX again.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You find that information on ------mastertechmaine-------Just a few clicks and there it is.

Teseal

Seaman
THX Racerone, got the chart, I stand correct 1977 model, great to have a newer motor.