Cold and Poly resin

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi,<br /><br />I got two questions about poly resin.<br />1) How cold can I use it and it still kicks nicely<br /><br />2) can I leave the uncured resin in my shed for the winter (Massachusetts) or should I bring it into my basement?<br /><br />Thanks<br />e

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Cold and Poly resin

It's not recommended to be used lower than 60*, but people do it. <br /><br />Leave it in the shed, the cold temps won't hurt it.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I've been using it between 50 and 60 degrees here this fall with good results. I have been using extra hardener however. I've been getting 20-30 min potlife and 60 min kick and 2 day hard cure. It gets cooler at night, down to low 40s so the final cure takes a while.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many Thanks<br /><br />Hey Calico, does the resin still flow ok at those temperatures? I am picturing it coming out in blobs!<br /><br />I got to get my new floors sheathed before snow comes!

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

what i do is keep it in front of a heater, keeps it warm, and viscious. not too much heat, just a little

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I had no trouble working the stuff while cool. You could take the resin in where it's warm before mixing it up if you are concerned. You have to take advantage of the warm spells this time of year. I'll only mix some up if I have a couple of good curing days in a row and I mix in mid morning so I can take advantage of daytime warmth for the initial curing. If there's a cold snap in the forecast I wouldn't try it as I think I'm pushing it as it is.

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip!<br /><br />Hey Calico, between my work travel and New England weather (as they say, if you don't like the weather in New England, wait a second) finding the few days is my battle<br /><br />thanka again<br />e

JustMrWill

Master Chief Petty Officer

Maybe you can rent a heated garage or storage unit for a month...that way you will get it finished no matter what the weather does...may be alittle pricey but with all that is on you plate in the near future...may be worth the investment. Hmmm...you think that your boat will fit in a certain sombody's garage in Norfolk?<br /><br />-JMW

Eggkr8

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Will,<br /><br />All good thoughts but $$$ gets in the way of option one (this baby stuff is expensive and she isn't even due for four more months!)<br /><br />As for Norfolk,,,, I don't think you would want that resin smell (and effects) in an attached garage. I will just have to keep running out to work on the boat between raindrops and snow!<br /><br />I think it would be a good invewtment for me to get a portable garage though! Grossmans Bargain Outlet had them on sale last week