Coincidence?

kman61

Cadet
Hi. Recently rebuilt my 1996 88SPL and after an hour or so of break-in I noticed a corresponding vibration and noise between ~2500 ? 4000 RPM which I attributed to upper main bearing failure. Well after writing in, reading a bunch of posts, doing a bunch of checks up top (compression, wrist-pin bearing play, etc.) & thinking about it, I decided to drop the lower unit and have a look.
Just a note here first: As part of my rebuild I replaced entire water pump assy with a new knock-off brand. Water pressure out the tell-tale was always strong and temp gage ran normal but there was always a rubber squeak sound when turning the fly-wheel by hand that I don?t recall hearing ever before.
So, upon separation I discovered that the drive shaft has significant side-to-side, front-to-back play of approx ?? as measured at the top of the shaft. Seems like something went bad inside the bearing assembly housing that is bolted onto the top of the gear case. So my question is; do you suppose the shaft / bearing failure (yet undiagnosed) is just a coincidence of could it somehow be the result of my powerhead rebuild handy work? Top end runs fine otherwise, starts hot or cold no problem, smooth power right to 5000 RPM, etc. Didn?t have any assembly issues getting the power head back on as well.

pn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Coincidence?

maybe its just shaft play and everythin's fine. the impellar will squeek when turnin dry or the stupid knockoff don't fit right and got burned up. heres a pic of my knockoff impellar cup notice hows it rounded out....IMG268.jpg

kman61

Cadet

Scratch the loose drive shaft theory. Dropped the lower unit off my parts motor and after removal of the water pump assy it has the same amount of play as my running motor. Part of the design I suppose.
Oh well, back to suspect upper main bearing theory.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Why did you rebuild it?
Can you see the flywheel move off centre when engines running?
Have you tried pushing pulling on flywheel to observe any play?
A little lateral is normally there, you will hear and feel it but its virtually impossible to see without a dial indicator.
Up and down movement of the flywheel is bad.
If its a bad amount of play you can remove the flywheel and see if its being hitting the stator, which will also cause a miss

kman61

Cadet

Rebuilt it because #1 piston ring snagged in exhaust port and broke & #2 had missing material between the rings as viewed with the exhaust cover off. Never noticed the play before but perhaps it was there. Play is lateral, not up & down and it is pretty minor. Motor does not / has not missed. Will work at getting the flywheel off next.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

Sounds unlikely to be the top bearing.
Those middle seal rings are pretty sturdy, i always have mine with gap facing down when reinstalling crankshaft i think the factory manual says to do that too.
You did check the pistons had the slanted side facing exhaust?

kman61

Cadet

Installed those crank seals gap down per factory manual. Pistons installed with correct orintation as well.

Bosunsmate

Admiral

If you have put on a new prop you may have a resonance occurring at those revs with your boats setup