Cockateal question

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
My son has a bird that is laying eggs. The eggs are infertile as we only have one bird. Should I just pull the eggs or let her lay a clutch and set for a while before I pull them to get her to quite laying.

oddjob

Commander
Re: Cockateal question

I would pull them or shes become very fussy for no good reason. But I'm no expert. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I'd pull them and crack them into a shot of hot sake . . .

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

She having a late lay.. She must be over one year. Maybe find her a male friend.. Its a good thing that she able to lay the eggs on her own.. If you take them away to soon it could confuse her the next time she lays.. Find out how many days it takes(or to hatch).. Then take one away at a time. If it is 28 days, maybe start on the 15th.. That is if you would like to mate her in the future.. Chart the day she started to lay so you will know next time. I think they lay at least 2-3 times a year.. Try Petco.com there maybe some better info... I had 2 cocketails and a female and she never laid eggs in 3 years.. Not all are cut out to be a mommy.. The petshop will buy the baby's. Some go as high as $60 each. I paid a 108 bucks for it, had it trained to do tricks sing little whistle songs and follow me outside. It would ride on the steering wheel while I rode riding tractor. Well I got off to move some stuff out of my way and a redtailed Hawk had lunch..<br />Good luck..

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by Barbara Dee:<br /> She having a late lay..
I had one of those once.<br />Is that a guess or do you speak from experience?? ;) :D :p

magster65

Commander

And you talk about Ryan's spelling... :) hehe<br />Anyway, late... early... so long as you get a lay...<br />I've heard that any of something good is better than none... is this true?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Raised them for 12 years.<br />Sold $10,000 worth in 1994. Don't ask. I sold some rare mutations and show quality birds for $350<br /><br />I would let her have them for a while.<br />Some hens turn out to be chronic egg layers, not good. It will wear her out physically. Egg production is bad enough. But during incubation, her body temp actually rises.<br /><br />Incubation is 20-21 days for tiels. <br />She may sit on them immediately, or she may wait till she is done laying before she sits. Let her sit on them for atleast 3 weeks, or till she abandons them. Hopefully she will abandon them at that point. If you take them away before that, she may just start laying again to replace them.<br />If she just lays them and lets them alone, you can take them away.<br /><br />If she hasn't given up by 3.5 or 4 weeks, take them away.<br /><br />Hopefully she won't repeat the cycle.<br /><br />Some hens will lay a clutch or 2 every year, for life.<br />Some will lay every month. :(

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

She's been sitting since day one...I kinda had figured if I pulled them she would just replace them. Just nature's way...I'll let her set for a while and see what happens, Thanks ;) <br /><br />I'll let this genetic mutant go for 300...Any takers...It's cheaper than roscoe's :D