Cobra upper needs rebuilding! Any suggestions!

av8or09

Cadet
I pulled my outdrive off today to replace the lower seals (89 Sunbird with a 4.3L Cobra O/D). Well to my suprise I found metal i the upper drive, lots of metal! It all seems to have come from a upper pinion bearing. Gears dont have any appearent sign of wear or scoring. Hopefully I caught it before any more damage has been done. I pulled the lower apart also and outside of a few small particles of metal in the oil itself, it seems to be OK! My question is primarily concerning any suggestions on who to repair this for me. Has any one used T C Electronics/Marine in Canada? How about their turnaround time? Did they do the repairs properly and for the advertised price or do they usually find alot more wrong then previously thought?? They list a price of 596.00 to replace all bearings ,shim and repaint plus shipping. Is this reasonable? It seems the parts for Cobra's run the spectrum from normal to outrageous. I have seen the upper gear set go from 450.00 dollars all the way to 1,000.00, depending on the dealer. Funny thing is they are all GLM parts!!Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on who to send this to and even who to stay away from? Should I do more than just clean and reseal the lower, THANKS!

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cobra upper needs rebuilding! Any suggestions!

Not sure where in Canada you are but you may want to check with these guys, I see them with Cobra's on Ebay in Canada all the time so I know they rebuild them. web page

av8or09

Cadet
Re: Cobra upper needs rebuilding! Any suggestions!

Hey Bob! Thanks for the link. I guess I should have been more specific. I am not in Canada, I live in Virginia and am going to be shipping it to T.C. Electronics/Marine in Toronto.( That is as long as I dont hear too much bad about them) This is my first boat and I cant find anyone local except for a few who I have been told to stay away from. Others just dont want to work on an OMC I guess. These guys advertise on WWW.sterndrive.com and according to their website they are a co-manufacturer of GLM products. Just a little concerned about shipping international to someone I have never met.