cobra prop shaft seals

tylerin

Commander
I noticed that oil drips out from prop housing area. I would like to replace the seals but don't wish to drop lower unit. Is this possible and would someone guide me through it. Please type slowly.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: cobra prop shaft seals

You can pull that bearing carrier and replace those seals easily.Look at your manual if you get lost but this is simple stuff.Might need to rent the puller.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

like hondon says it can be done. there's 2 back to back seals on the prop shaft, & rubber o- rings around the housing. u need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the housing in place with a socket extention. don't forget to change the o-rings that go with the bolts.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there in the back side of the housing. shine a light in there, you'll see em. they may be 1/2". that housing is not easy to remove without a puller, but u can try it.

tylerin

Commander

Found them, Thanks guys. If you need a puller to get it off how hard do they go back on, Are the bolts long

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the bolts are a couple inches long. when u get ready to put the housing back make sure u line up the bolt holes correctly. if u don't u will have to remove the housing again. u may have to tap it back in with a RUBBER mallet.