Cobra or king cobra whats the diffrence ?

rusty bolts

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello , my new project is a 1987 grady white 23 foot gulfstreem with a 460 ford omc cobra.335 hp so I guess its not a king cobra,it does not have the thru hull exhaust . Is that the only difference ? The out drive is a large case ,just like a 300 hp v8 outboard,or a old sea drive235 but the skeg is a different angle. I was just wanted as much information as possible about the difference between the king cobra and cobrs ,are the drives different sizes? Are the gimble housing different sizes ?,Or are they the same except for the through hull exhaust .I noticed that there are 2 different bellows listed for the u joint .I have just started to get it going after it has been it storage for a few years ,rebuilt carburetor, resealed the drive , new pump it had a very slow leak ,and now I guess the bellows won’t hurt,gimble bearing is good .Once I get the drive on I want to fire it up ,of course I will prime the oil in her first .I just wanted to know the more about the new hole in the water I have Thanks Rusty

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Cobra or king cobra whats the diffrence ?

There is a lot of confusion between not only Cobra's and King Cobra's but King Cobra's themselves. I've had a boat with twin 4.3 1989 King Cobra's, the drives were the same as reg Cobra's and the only difference I could find were they had nice orange spark plug wires, fancy cover on the flame arrestor, 4 bbl carb (reg had 2 bbl) and some extra oil/water switches for alarms. I currently have 2 1989 King Cobra 460's. Yes the bottom of the drive is bigger (leftover from the old 300 hp outboard)note : these hold 108 oz of lube instead of the regular 64 oz so make sure you fill it., don't have thru hull, same orange wires, 4 bbl carb, water temp and oil press switches for alarm (I added the alarm later) Now in 1990 the 460 really went to the new King Cobra outdrive which had the cone clutch in it instead of the dog clutch, easy to see because the outdrive has a hump on the top instead of flat because that where the gear changing takes place. Hope this doesn't confuse you more!