Coast Guard Auxiliary

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone a member of their local Coast Guard Auxiliary?

What are the benefits? What do you do?

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Coast Guard Auxiliary

LoL it is like the American Legion, VFW, ect... Bunch of older generation that likes boats. Benefits, socialization with people that have the same passion as you, help people that are just learning how to be a good boater, put on safety classes, do free boat inspections, have a good time. And if your local chapter has a favorite watering hole then you can do like the American Legion and VFW do, drink all day :p

The Coast Guard Aux does good things, find out when and where your local chapter meets and attend the meeting

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

A really dumb question to add as it is on topic with this thread. When a member comes down to the marina and performs a free vessel saftey check, should you tip them for the gas spent / time to get there, even if it is at the same time as others? Or do they get reimbersed slightly to perform this service?

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

A really dumb question to add as it is on topic with this thread. When a member comes down to the marina and performs a free vessel saftey check, should you tip them for the gas spent / time to get there, even if it is at the same time as others? Or do they get reimbersed slightly to perform this service?

well, this is kinda what made me do some research on the topic. I was looking for a date/time when they would be on my lake doing inspections.

I noticed on their website, you can look up an inspector and then check a box that says something to the effect of "with gas/fuel costs as they are, Iagree to transport my vessel to the inspectors location"

I am guessing they do NOT get reimbursed

Silver Heels

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello,

I have been in the coast guard reserves for a number of years, and we often work with the auxillary. To my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong) the auxillary does not typically do inspections- around here the power squadron does that. We do work with the auxillary during training exercises- they often play the part of the disabled boater. They can be called upon to assist in search and rescue, though not law enforcment. They use their own boats, beginning with a full tank on their dime. After performing their duties, they pull into the station where WE top off their tanks. In addition, they teach boaters safety and seamanship courses. They seem to be a great bunch and we at the station have gotten to know many of them very well. Most attend all social functions that the station puts on. I'm sure the go out and drink beer together as some have suggested, but that is surely not their focus.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a friend in the reserve at my marina. They give us vessel checks, and go out on patrol on weekends on their boat. They have the power to board vessels and perform checks. They also run safety classes, etc...

Shife

Chief Petty Officer

I have a friend in the reserve at my marina. They give us vessel checks, and go out on patrol on weekends on their boat. They have the power to board vessels and perform checks. They also run safety classes, etc...

US Power Squadron and the CG Auxiliary do NOT have the power to board or halt vessels. They can do voluntary safety inspections, but they can not write tickets, enforce laws, or stop and board your vessel. That power falls to the CG in international waters and connecting waterways, with State and Local law enforcement providing coverage for inland lakes. We had a little problem with that a few years back on one of the bodies of water I race on and the offending Auxiliary member was directed towards another hobby. Tying a Power Squadron or Auxiliary banner onto your boat doesn't suddenly turn you into John T. McClane.

commander315

Petty Officer 1st Class

US Power Squadron and the CG Auxiliary do NOT have the power to board or halt vessels. They can do voluntary safety inspections, but they can not write tickets, enforce laws, or stop and board your vessel. That power falls to the CG in international waters and connecting waterways, with State and Local law enforcement providing coverage for inland lakes. We had a little problem with that a few years back on one of the bodies of water I race on and the offending Auxiliary member was directed towards another hobby. Tying a Power Squadron or Auxiliary banner onto your boat doesn't suddenly turn you into John T. McClane.
Sorry, I didn't clarify..They do not do the boarding, they provide the vessel. They are assigned a patrol and a couple of coasties to cart around for the day. Idk thats how they do it here

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

cool. thanks for the replies. Doesnt sound like my type of gig :)

45Auto

Commander

sometimes, I like experience and knowledged from the masses...

LMAO - exactly how many of the posters above who replied to you were in the CGA and could give you any real input into what they do?

Can you say: NONE!!

hubbard53

Petty Officer 1st Class

LMAO - exactly how many of the posters above who replied to you were in the CGA and could give you any real input into what they do?

Can you say: NONE!!

well, it was worth a try, right? this is afterall a "community"

45Auto

Commander

well, it was worth a try, right? this is afterall a "community"

That's true. But if you're really thinking about doing it, I would hope you would at least talk to someone in the CGA before you make up your mind that it's not your type of gig. The CGA was doing free inspections at the launch I use a couple of weeks ago (got my little sticker from them). It was 2 smoking hot girls and some guy that looked like Schwarzenegger in his 20's. Seemed like a pretty neat bunch to me, nothing like the older generation as described by some posters above. I would have gone to drink some beers with them in a heartbeat except my wife was with me .....

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

When we are able to live full time at the lake, we will be joining the local CGA. We just like to help others.

45Auto

Commander

Ok, so maybe the 3 I saw were the only ones who AREN"T old farts ...... :eek:

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

My local CGA is putting on a safety class, I had the privilege of Meeting Rose, she is 83 and very active.

When I get my boat up to snuff I will join, in the mean time she has put me in contact with 14 members that have offered to help me get on the water, including on site instruction on how to singly launch and retrieve my poat. Now that is cool :)