CMC jackplate/tilt-trim

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice
Been looking at the CMC tilt-trim or the CMC powered jack plate, with a 5 inch backset. I have a 1980 Astroglass 176 bass rig with a 1979 Mercury 115 outboard. It appears that the CMC unit helps with managing the performance on a boat by placing the engine further back and allowing for adjustments in engine height and angle. Will this unit also create extra stress on the transom, and should the rear section of the boat be reinforced to distrubute the load. It appears that some of the mid 80s Astroglass and Astro boats suffered from transom weakness, although mine was built prior to Procraft's selling of the line, and seems to be pretty sturdy. The upper cap has the fiberglass floor moulded into the cap, so the only wood visable is what can be seen in the rear of the boat around the fuel tank area, and everthing has a thick fiberglass coating on it. The boat is a garage queen, and has not been exposed to the weather. We have checked carefully, and cannot find any weakness in the transom or the hull, I just don't want to create a problem.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer
Re: CMC jackplate/tilt-trim

Can't help you as far as the mounting goes... I wouldn't think it would create any additional stresses... it mounts the same way the outboard does, and moving it back 6" shouldn't be that much of a difference.

If you do decide to get one though, please let me know how it does!

I have been pondering one for some time as my 70HP OB is a manual tilt, and I want to convert it over to power. So I really want to know how well this works.

79MERC1150

Seaman Apprentice
Re: CMC jackplate/tilt-trim

Good luck with the Checkmate restore. Those are cool little boats!

I probably will go ahead with the powered CMC jack plate, and keep my OEM tilt/trim. I am afraid that the thing will increase the stress on the transom due to increased leverage from moving the engine back, so I think for peace of mind sake, I will build a heavy alluminum bracket system that will distribute the some of the weight and stress from the transom to the floor.

The boat is 30 years old, and although it is solid, fiberglass does deterorite with age, and who knows if some future crack that has not shown itself is lurking beneath the surface.

The boat is rated for a 150 hp engine max, and mine is a 115 hp, so the hull should not be overloaded.

I'll post some pic's when we get around to doing the project.

Charles