Clunking/Knocking noise when steering

morebacon

Seaman
I started getting knocking noises when turning the steering wheel, at about 60* either left and right turns. It gets slightly louder as the angle increases.

Here's what I did
- took drive out, checked the u-joints - they turn smoothly, no play (non-greasable type)
- checked alignment - looks fine
- rotated gimbal by hand, it turns smoothly, no play (non-greasable type as well). Replaced 2 years ago.

I'm lost what and how to check next, any recommendations?

Bondo

Staff member
I started getting knocking noises when turning the steering wheel, at about 60* either left and right turns. It gets slightly louder as the angle increases.

Here's what I did
- took drive out, checked the u-joints - they turn smoothly, no play (non-greasable type)
- checked alignment - looks fine
- rotated gimbal by hand, it turns smoothly, no play (non-greasable type as well). Replaced 2 years ago.

I'm lost what and how to check next, any recommendations?
Ayuh,..... Pull the u-joints apart, I'm guessin' you'll find ridges on the crosses which is causing the knocking,...

morebacon

Seaman
Ayuh,..... Pull the u-joints apart, I'm guessin' you'll find ridges on the crosses which is causing the knocking,...
So I took a chance and replaced the gimbal, figured it's much easier to do. I was not really expecting that to fix it, but it did. So weird!

The old gimbal still feels smooth, absolutely no play or roughness whatsoever. I took the boat out today and noises were all gone. I was also leaning towards the u-joints, now I'm even more confused...

Thanks for the suggestions!

04fxdwgi25

Chief Petty Officer
Dry pivot points for the gimbal / steering? May have needed to be greased.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Did you inspect the u-joints?

What you described in your OP is classic u-joints

morebacon

Seaman
Did you inspect the u-joints?

What you described in your OP is classic u-joints
That's what I thought as well, that's why I find it very weird that replacing the gimbal fixed it. I did not crack open the u-joints but will monitor closely for any noises.