Closed-End Pop Rivets

Mojo^

Seaman
Anyone here ever use 'em below the water line? Installed with any type of sealer such as Marine-Tex or 3M-101? Which end do you recommend to be outside the boat, head or butt?

Floyd M

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Closed-End Pop Rivets

Hey Mojo. Used them several times below the waterline. I first dip them in gluvit and insert from the outside in. The head should be on the outside of the hull. I also use a small syringe and fill the hole that is left on the head of the rivet. I have never had one leak.

Floyd

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... I use 'em all the time, from outside the hull, where they can't be got to inside...

Dry, no sealant..

Mojo^

Seaman

GREAT! That's what I wanted to hear guys. Thanks!

gander club

Recruit

What brand of rivet seems to work the best? I have a big project and am hoping this is the solution to my problem. Thanks

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I got mine at nutsandbolts.com and installed from the outside using 3M 5200. No water test yet though. I had to fill leftover holes from the PO.

Mojo^

Seaman

I got mine at nutsandbolts.com and installed from the outside using 3M 5200. No water test yet though. I had to fill leftover holes from the PO.

I bought mine from the same place except for some 1/4" that I had to buy because I slightly over-sized a few holes so I have to take it up to the next size for the hole to clean-up. I had thought about using 3M 5200 but I'll be using Steelflex for the final finish and the folks at Fasco told me that it won't adhere to 5200. I have some 635 epoxy from US Composites for sealing the new transom and some Marine-Tex for filling a few holes on order. I'll probably just use a dab of the 635 epoxy on the shank of the fastener when I install them. Steelflex will probably be sufficient but I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

Av8nBill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used some on the transom brace for my jon boat (sealed with 5200) and had it out last week - no leaks so far. Wish I'd have known about that website when I bought mine, I had to go through Grainger and minimum order was 250 :eek:, so I've got a few left over.