Closed cooling convert to standard cooling..

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know most people do this the other way around but, this is a fresh-water only boat..<br /><br />On a 5.7 (260hp) anyone ever convert their closed cooling to standard cooling? from what I see you just remove the third pump, re-route hoses. But it looks like I might have to make a small modification to the manifolds. I'm not sure if the thermostat housing is the same either.<br /><br />Anyone??<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />-- Joe

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Closed cooling convert to standard cooling..

closed system still protects block and, in some cases manifolds from corrosion and gives engine more consistent temp resulting in longer life and better fuel use. sand and sediment in raw water can settle in block/head/manifold water jacket and create hot spots. you need not worry about winterising closed system parts. raw water cooling is done for only one reason....it is cheaper to install making initial purchase price more attractive. costs a lot in the long run.

anesthes

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Closed cooling convert to standard cooling..

Yeah I decided to stay with the closed cooling. gonna finish plumbing it today and fire it up.. <br /><br />Thanks..<br /><br />-- Joe