clogged passages/65 Sea Horse 9.5

b9303

Seaman Apprentice
Have an ongoing problem with water circulation. Can i clean some of the buildup with CLR or will someone suggest another product? Thanks.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: clogged passages/65 Sea Horse 9.5

Has this motor been used in salt water a lot? Often times, corrosion will stop up water passages and things will have to be taken apart and cleaned thoroughly. One simple test, is to remove the thermostat and see if it's pumping water to that point. Also, make sure your water level is high enough in your test tank.

jbjennings

Captain

Have an ongoing problem with water circulation. Can i clean some of the buildup with CLR or will someone suggest another product? Thanks.

So.......what's the problem with the circulation? If it's intermittent indicator stream flow, it could be bad exhaust cover seals, bad water tube grommet, etc. You have no hope of cleaning any buildup in the water jackets with any kind of cleaning product. To clean water jackets, you'll need to pull the powerhead and remove the exhaust covers and cylinder head. Personally, if it was anything more than exhaust cover gaskets, impeller/pump housing, or water tube grommets, I'd probably look for a different outboard. THen again, I just plain don't like the 9.5 hp OMC's of any year.
Good luck with yours though, and I'd be glad to help if I can,
JBJ

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It is highly unlikely that the cooling system is clogged unless it has spent its life in salt water. The red coating in the water jackets does a pretty good job. But if it actually is corroded shut, there is nothing that will disolve it.