Clearance lights on rear of trailer: how to keep them working?

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Like most trailers over 80” wide, my boat trailer has three small rectangular marker lights mounted in the rear crossmember. Occasionally one of them works if I pop off the cover and wiggle the little ‘peanut’ bulb (194) around. The problem is that these lights are submerged every time I back the trailer into the water, so they get corroded easily. Even if I go buy new lamps it’s probably just a matter of time before those corrode as well.

Has anyone had any luck with sealing around the base of the bulbs with silicone, or maybe packing the sockets with grease? I’m open to trying just about anything because I don’t want to get a ticket for having nonworking lights.

The good news is that all the others lights work just fine.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just get 3 sealed LED lights and be done with it, used to be we put dielectric grease on the sockets and a bead of silicone around the lens, but no need for that now a days.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Replace existing assembly(s) with three light, LED rear ID bar and be done with it.

For $12 the problem is no more

ahicks

Captain
X3 on the LED plan. While you're at it, if you haven't already, now would be a good time to go LED on your tail lights as well.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Don't buy replace LED bulbs, buy the factory made LED lights. And then you can drench them in water all day long and they will work every time.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there a particular brand or model anyone would recommend?

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That would be awesome if I could use it, but my rear crossmember has a V shape. I probably have to replace the three individual lights with three individual lights.

I just put mine right on the frame and was done with it, 3 individual lights about 20 minutes of work and I was done with it.