Clear hose

flashback

Captain
I've often seen recommendations for a section of clear hose installed at the thermostat for the water intake to diagnose overheating. Can you leave it in the system permanently and if you can, what type or brand?

Last edited:

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I've often seen recommendations for a section of clear hose installed at the thermostat for the water intake to diagnose overheating. Can you leave it in the system permanently and if you can, what type or brand?
pretty sure people only stab it in for testing

flashback

Captain
pretty sure people only stab it in for testing
Thanks for the reply!

That's my thoughts as well but as I plan on replacing the hose soon I was curious if it could be done with some clear from the steering cooler to the thermostat and used as a early warning.

kenny nunez

Captain
Home Depot/Lowe’s has clear reinforced hose that I have used to replace all the hoses on my jet boat. They can be used if you do not need any that are molded with tight bends.

flashback

Captain
Home Depot/Lowe’s has clear reinforced hose that I have used to replace all the hoses on my jet boat. They can be used if you do not need any that are molded with tight bends.
Thanks for the tip. It could be a good help if I see the temp going up..

flashback

Captain
It was just an off the wall thought I had after seeing the topic come up. I appreciate the input and may give it a go..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
It was just an off the wall thought I had after seeing the topic come up. I appreciate the input and may give it a go..
I think really comes down to temp rating some tubing is only good for 140F that probably wouldn't work long for down stream of thermostat but if its raw water coming up from the drive likely no issue

Kenny has been around the block a time or two so can't imagine it wouldnt work based on his comments

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
only word of caution. most jet boats dont even have a thermostat or water pump. so it is a different animal than a stern drive.

kenny nunez

Captain
You are right on about that Scott. I added the Indmar thermostat kit to keep condensation from building up under the valve covers on my boat. Not a cheap part but worth it. That was always a problem with the boats I used to work on.
The bottom line is to use quality hose.

flashback

Captain
Just posting back, I found the input hose was brittle at the thermostat housing but still soft and plyable an inch up stream so being shade tree, I cut the crispy end off and plugged it back on...I have a piece of clear and may put it in this winter but for now I will enjoy the summer..