Clear coating fiberglass

I have a 91 Stratos fish and ski project Ihave been working on, the boat has sat out in the sun for a while and all the gelcoat has been pretty much been eaten up by the sun, I have sanded all the remaining gel coat off and am preparing to to re clear, what is a good product to use, is there a good clear coat in an aerosol can, any advice much appreciated

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
I paint cars for a living and the only thing that holds up well to the sun is 2k automotive clear (clearcoat with activator) but you need spray equipment and im for sure about adhesion to gel coat but from experience i wouldnt be afraid to do it if the gelcoat if properly sanded and cleaned

jbcurt00

Staff member
You removed ALL the gelcoat?

Post some pix of what you've gotten it sanded down to.

Probably not a spray can solve at this point, or at least not a good one....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Most of the time clear coating over gel coat is a temporary facelift, it all too frequently fails after a year or three. Plus if you did as you said, and sanded all the gel coat off, then you're down to the flake (which is still gel coat), and if you sand into the flake it may make it look blotchy and odd when you apply clear over it.

​You can get a rattle can of clear and spray a small area and see what it looks like, this cheap clear can be cleaned off with acetone.

I didnt get into the flake, I wiped it down with prep sol and its gonna look good, just not sure waht to put on it,,

gm280

Supreme Mariner
First of all, there is no rattle can clear coat that would ever hold up...period! any oils or fuels splashed on that rattle can clear coat finish will dissolve it pretty quickly. If you go the clear coat route, you have to either use an automotive two part mixed clear coat or use clear gel coat. I don't see anything else adhering to the finish and staying on. JMHO

Need some pictures so we can see what you are working with.

devildogae

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First of all, there is no rattle can clear coat that would ever hold up...period! any oils or fuels splashed on that rattle can clear coat finish will dissolve it pretty quickly. If you go the clear coat route, you have to either use an automotive two part mixed clear coat or use clear gel coat. I don't see anything else adhering to the finish and staying on. JMHO

Need some pictures so we can see what you are working with.

You can spray a 2K automotive clear straight from the can, it's called Spraymax 2K clear. It has a clear and activator in the can, and you use a tab to break the separation and mixes right in the can. The spray nozzle actually has an adjustable fan. It's not cheap though, something like $25 a can. Check it out, I've used it on my race motorcycle and you can get it online or from a pro auto paint store.

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
You can get a gallon of 2k auto clear with activator for under $100
You will get a much thicker film build to buff down the road
Best economy clear i have used is
Finish one but get the overall clear not the spot and panel i get it for $85 a set up
I seen cars i painted 8 yrs ago and they still look great
Nason clear from axalta (formerly dupont)
Isint a bad cheap clear either

gm280

Supreme Mariner
You can spray a 2K automotive clear straight from the can, it's called Spraymax 2K clear. It has a clear and activator in the can, and you use a tab to break the separation and mixes right in the can. The spray nozzle actually has an adjustable fan. It's not cheap though, something like $25 a can. Check it out, I've used it on my race motorcycle and you can get it online or from a pro auto paint store.

Yes that will work. But that IS the exact same recipe I stated in my comment. It still is a two part mixture and that is the only way to go. Any other simple one part clear coat will not hold up to oils and fuels. JMHO