Cleaning out Vehicle and trailer wiring connectors.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer
From the elements and so forth, my trucks 4 way is filled with new elec grease, hardened grease dirt dust and other misc stuff same goes for the boat. I purchased 2 rubber covers for each vehicle now, but what can I do to clean everything out of each? I tired elec cleaner but that didnt do anything. Can I spray some carb cleaner up there to disove the grease and then add fresh stuff?

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Cleaning out Vehicle and trailer wiring connectors.

Can I spray some [COLOR="Red" said:
carb cleaner [/COLOR]up there to disove the grease and then add fresh stuff?

Don't use carb cleaner. It has a tendency to dissolve plastic/ rubber, etc. Some plastics it makes brittle over time too. Ever see what it does to an old o-ring? Anything but that! You've already tried electric contact cleaner, how about a couple shots of degreaser? Then electric cleaner?

The covers you got are a great idea and will prevent future headaches. Wish I had known about them when I first started trailering anything.:rolleyes:

Splat

Lieutenant

CRC makes a QD(quick Dry contact cleaner) (their part number is 03130, I'm a dealer for them.) that is poly and plastic safe. It'll do the trick. Should be available at most retail stores.

One trick I have found is to use a set of torchtip cleaners to clean the individual contacts. One set will have many sizes included and is just like using a wire brush. Especially helpful for light sockets and such.

Bill

mattpyle

Seaman

CRC makes a QD(quick Dry contact cleaner) (their part number is 03130, I'm a dealer for them.) that is poly and plastic safe. It'll do the trick. Should be available at most retail stores.

Exactly the stuff I use. It'll clean everything out of there real good and completely dry in a few seconds.