Cleaning mineral deposits on outdrive (aluminum).

babikov

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello,

What is the best (safe and easy) way to remove mineral deposits from aluminum parts of the outdrive? Deposits look like a white crystalline substance, easy to scrape with a wooden tooth pick (for example). I don?t think this is aluminum oxidation.

The outdrive is in a good shape, paint is OK, but there are some spots here and there. Also, I removed the top cover (for some other reason) and found quite a few deposits on unpainted surfaces there. Nothing to worry about, deposits are not inside of the sealed area holding the outdrive oil, but outside, where the water is allowed to get in. So, I want these surfaces cleaned before I put the top cover back.

Another, may be unrelated question, what for the stuffer plug is? And what is underneath? Can I remove and clean it outside of the drive, or it is better not to touch?

My drive is Alpha One Gen II.
Thank you.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cleaning mineral deposits on outdrive (aluminum).

I've used CLR. Worked OK.

seanymph85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure what to suggest, I am searching for products myself. However I considered CLR for the side of my aluminum boat and noticed it said not to use it on aluminum. Perhaps the area you would be applying it to would be different than the hull. You might want to double check this on the label first though.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
absolute best thing, didn't believe it until I tried it... Toilet bowl cleaner. There are different formulas, but I've noticed that the cheaper stuff usually has whatever active ingredient is needed. Squirt it on, and you should get an almost sulpher like smell. Then just hose it off, the deposits wash off.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
absolute best thing, didn't believe it until I tried it... Toilet bowl cleaner. There are different formulas, but I've noticed that the cheaper stuff usually has whatever active ingredient is needed. Squirt it on, and you should get an almost sulpher like smell. Then just hose it off, the deposits wash off.

The active ingredient in toilet bowl cleaners is some form of sulfuric acid. Aluminum and sulfuric acid produce aluminum sulphate and hydrogen gas. Not good for you or the aluminum

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The active ingredient in toilet bowl cleaners is some form of sulfuric acid. Aluminum and sulfuric acid produce aluminum sulphate and hydrogen gas. Not good for you or the aluminum

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
However I considered CLR for the side of my aluminum boat and noticed it said not to use it on aluminum. Perhaps the area you would be applying it to would be different than the hull. You might want to double check this on the label first though.

Product Name

CLR Calcium, Lime & Rust Remover

Product Use

Aqueous Acidic Cleaner for Removal of Calcium, Lime, and Rust from Hard Surfaces Retail Package: [28 fl. oz., 42 fl. oz., and 128 fl. oz. (one gallon)}

CAS# Proprietary Mixture

Restrictions on Use

Incompatible with strong oxidizing agents, metals (except stainless steel, chrome),acids, bases, and bleach

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Used the same thing on my outdrive, worked great, didn't even harm the paint....just have to be careful and not get a "whif" of the stuff....will take your breath away.

Thalasso

Commander

Hydrochloric Acid, Chlorine Bleach or Citric Acid . Not sulfuric

Thalasso

Commander

Hydrochloric Acid, Chlorine Bleach or Citric Acid . Not sulfuric
The main ingredient in The Works toilet cleaner is hydrogen chloride. That is hydrochloric acid when mixed with water.